Lead balls in my .50 inline.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X-Ravin

Reaction score
Hiya all. Finally got a chance to get out and try my new Pursuit XLT. I had a great time blasting powerbelts but I could not get my .490 lead balls to fit with Traditions lubed patches. How do you all use lead balls in your inlines? I'd like to use them for just plinking around. Would I need to use .457 balls instead?

Thanks in advanced!!

A .50 caliber inline should shoot a roundball. I would get a thinner patch and still stick with the .490 ball. Sometimes they do go in tight, so you take the BALL style short starter, and get them in the bore then with the longer end push them part way down. Normally you can then set them down on the charge.

With a bore that tight you might have to swab between shots? I would not hurt to add a little more lube to the patch also. I shoot a .490 out of my Wolverine all the time with very good accuracy. Just down load the powder charge.

Alright I'll give the 490s another try. I just found that they make .480s as well, I might give those a shot too. Thanks!

The powerbelts pushed right in. I use a 2 stage short starter, then my ramrod. I used a 90gr charge. I ran cleaning patches every couple of shots. The powerbelts never had a problem loading.

If you do some researchon sabots - I found a sabot for roundballs for .50 cal....I forget where. I was actually thinking about it. :eek:

Latest posts

Back