Late IL Deer Report

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got back from a late 'anterless only' IL deer hunt. I took my new 45 cal Knight Elite with a Ziess 3-9 Conquest scope. This scope was on another gun I haven't shot in years, so I moved it over.

My load was 110 grns of B209, 200 grn SST, CCIM primer, Lehigh breechplug, with my trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs.

My 2 shots were rather close, both about 25-30 yrds. Both deer went less than 10 feet. My goal is to set up for more precision with the 100-150 yrd shots, & I do plan to work on that before next Fall.

The other guys hunted with slug guns, Savage & an A-Bolt. The shot-to-deer ratio with the M-L out did the slug guns by a WIDE margin. That's kinda funny since at times they seem to think I'm handicapping myself with the M-L. :D

I am glad you had success. I have a number of dedicated 12 gauge slug guns but have not used them for years. My muzzleloaders really do better for me also.

Congratulations on the deer. I could not agree more that a muzzleloader is not a hindrance, but an asset.

Latest posts

Back