Knight T Bolt

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamaboomer

Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloader. I have a chance to get a used Knight T Bolt. It looks to be in great shape. Anybody have any opinions on this rifle?

I have two Knight T-Bolts. Both are great shooters. The T-Bolt action is a close fit precision action that requires careful cleaning and the safety is a bit awkward for me. They are strong, dependable rifles that will give you years of reliable service.

bama, im a big fan of the older knight designs. i have an mk-85 and a wolverine, both purchased within the last few years. the knights ALL have an excellent timney trigger, and (for the .50 calibers) the same 1-28" twist green mountain barrel. so they all have excellent accuracy potential. the only drawback compared to the modern designs like an omega is that these old designs are open breech and will take a little longer to clean. also, they use #11 or musket caps (i think the t-bolt comes standard w/ a musket nipple) as opposed to #209's. i would worry about #11 cap ignition, though. ive never had even a hangfire in my mk-85.

i have seen some t-bolts on the auction sites, and they are running really cheap in great condition. i think i saw one with a starting bid of $125 not too long ago. i picked up my wolverine NIB for $80.

Thanks guys,

I finally got a chance to shoot today. I was very suprised and pleased with the results. After mounting scope and getting it "on paper" I am shootin about 1 inch at 100 yards. Now for the questions....
1) After 4 shots I cleaned it and then went back to shooting. But this time it was much harder getting sabot in, Am I cleaning the barrel clean enough. Does anyone use a brush to clean the bore or just patches and bore cleaner?
2) I had 3 misfires using Winchester 209's. Anyone else having this problem.

bamaboomer said:
Thanks guys,

I finally got a chance to shoot today. I was very suprised and pleased with the results. After mounting scope and getting it "on paper" I am shootin about 1 inch at 100 yards. Now for the questions....
1) After 4 shots I cleaned it and then went back to shooting. But this time it was much harder getting sabot in, Am I cleaning the barrel clean enough. Does anyone use a brush to clean the bore or just patches and bore cleaner?
2) I had 3 misfires using Winchester 209's. Anyone else having this problem.

209's in a T-Bolt??

Hey if I'm doing something wrong .....?? That's what came with the gun. Am I not suppose to use 209's???

I have never seen a T'bolt with a breechplug that would accept 209's. Also the standard firing pin is not designed to strike a centerfire primer in the center.

Doesn't the breech plug have 1/4-28 threads to accept a nipple for #10 caps or musket caps?

Has your gun been modified?

Step-bro has a couple of the short barreled T-bolts. I think Knight sent him a 209 kit for one of them (but won't swear to it).

Razorback,

I took it to gunsmith to have him check it out before I bought it. He didn't mention being modified but I did ask him if I should use 209's. He said yes. I said just like the ones I reload shotgiun shells with and he said yes. That's all I know.

knight tbolt

you can buy a kit from knight i got one from them. they sent me a new breechplug for the 209 primers and you have to use the red plastic jackets ! i didnt have to change the striker mine would work with the 209 breech plug but the guy i talked to at knight told me some of the tbolts you had to change the striker, the one that came with the gun had a point on the end like a thumbtack so i could use it !! the people at knight are very helpfull and the price of the kit was very cheap!!! he also sent me a new breechplug wrench for free because the rifle i bought was on clearance and didnt come with one!! i have not shot it yet because i also bought a bighorn and its a real shooter i hope the tbolt shoots half as good!!

Latest posts

Back