Knight MK-85 (picture added)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

Reaction score
I picked up a stainless MK-85 at the gun show in good condition for a really good price. If I converted it to 209 priming can I shoot BH209 in it? Anything special I need to know about this gun?

I am not sure what kind of breech plug you have. But it sounds like you have a great rifle there... I bet it will be a good shooter.

I was able to unscrew the breechplug using the tool from my 700ML. It didn't have any grease on it, but the barrel looks perfect inside. It was clean as a whistle.

I remember when the MK-85 came out. Friends and I were shooting our traditional rifles and one of them mentioned a rifle he saw in a hunting magazine. He then told us about the MK-85 and we were shocked that anyone would ever shoot that much powder out of a gun. Also we felt they would be a flash in the pan. I guess we were wrong on both counts.

Swampman, I have one of the original MK-85's and love it. I Use 2-50grain 777 pellets with a 295 grain power belt HP. It's approx. 2 1/2 inches high at 50 yds. and dead on at 150 yds. Got a 8 point on the 26th, he was out 166 yards per my range finder, and he ran only 10 yards. I also have a TC Omega with a Nikon BDC scope and still usually go with the Knight. Good Luck.

It's very light and handy feeling. I bought some Weaver scope bases, and I'm going to stick a new Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5X32 that was in the closet on it.

I doubt that there is that many MK shooters using that type breech plug anymore. Never Know!

Total investment including new scope & mounts is less than $200.00.

100_0768.jpg

Here is one of mine. Sold another just like it and still have the forest laminate, love the fit and feel better than my newer Knights
MK-85.jpg

I wish I could find a factory finished walnut or laminated stock for mine. I also like it better than just about anything on the market right now.

i have owned a mk85 since they first came out. awesome gun. i too converted mine to 209s this past summer to try out blackhorn, it was a mistake, both knight and blackhorn told me not to shoot it with blackhorn. i had already tried 95 gr equiv behind a 300 gr precision bullet. the back blast was incredible, my face would feel like a flame hit each time i shot.im back to triple 7 and my musket caps, i have killed many more deer with this gun then any i own. call knight or blackhorn before you shoot it with blackhorn.

Where did you get the musket nipple? Do you think it's hotter/better than the #11s?

If youre interested, I just noticed on SWFA-the sample list- they have MK85 silver finish Leupold QR bases on sale half price! They had two pair left and they have been discontinued.

the musket cap breech plug and nipple are in the knight catalog. all i did was call knight customer service and told them what i was interested in doing to my mk85 and they sent me the breech plug,nipple and a breech tool for free, this was 5 years ago, the economy these days may mean you pay, their customer service is great.I loved it years ago when you could call knight and ask for customer service and knight himself would get on the phone and give you advice on loads,scopes or anything. great company

Latest posts

Back