Powerbelt for feral pig

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmart

Reaction score
I sighted in ( no scope) my wolf with 348 gr. Powerbelt HP and 100gr pyrodex @ 50yrs had a decent grouping. My guestion is: I'm going feral pig hunting soon, would this be a O.K. combo to use or should I go with a more pointed bullet and stay away from the hollow point. Thanks

I've never shot a hog, and never killed with a powerbelt.. but the powder charge you are shooting would be plenty. At least the powerbelt is one of the heavy ones.. I do not know what will happen with that bullet design. I am sure there are others that can give you a better idea.

What is "Decent" grouping?

With HP it is a good idea to slow it down a bit more. My load is 348g hp powerbelt with 80g pyrodex select.

Pig wont be no where near the size of an elk.

Duckmart i would not be concernced about using a tip. That powerbelt should do just fine as long as you dont try and push it too fast. I dont think 100 grains of powder would be too much for such a heavy bullet. I shot my first hog last year with a 240 gr 45xtp mag using 110gr pyro. The pig went to heaven right away. I would be more concerned where you hit the pig. I personally wouldnt use a bullet in that weight for hog hunting, but if thats all you have for the moment i certainly wouldnt hesitate to use it. theirs my two cents good luck

duckmart

I have not hunted hogs before , but I do raise hogs and I do know that their skin is very tough and thick also that the front shoulder bone is extreamlt thick.
IMO if I were you and wanted to use the powerbelts I would use a Aro Tip 348gr or heavyer bullet and slow it down to around 80gr to 85gr of powder . All a powerbelt is is a dressed up conical style bullet and any one that has shot a conical style bullet for any length of time knows that they are desighned to shoot slow .

A Jacketed pistal bullet is a intirly differant monster than a lead conical .

I have shot conical bullets for years and love them and will continue to shoot & hunt with them. in my 50cal. ML I shoot a 445gr conical with 75gr to 80gr of 2fg 777 but this is not a hollow point bullet and would not hesatate to shoot a hog with this load .

IMO if I were out hunting hogs I would not use any bullet lighter than 300gr in a Jacketed pistal bullet or 350gr in a solid point Conical as I would not want to be out in the brush tracking a wounded or charging 200lb or larger HOG.

you may want to look into the Platnum Tip 348gr Powerbelt.

This is just my 2cents worth :huh?:

Ron

Lungbuster1

That's a great worth of information for 2 cents. Thanks alot. I'll go down to 80 grains, will I have to sight in again? I may not have time to do so.

Hmmm, this is a good question. Will it work? I would think it should, but it will depend on the distance of the shot and where you hit it. I would think you would be better off with 80-90 gr of loose pyrodex, but I would suggest shooting that combo to see if it still works and if it changes the point of impact significantly. With a shorter barrel on the wolf and using pyrodex (pellets or loose?) your velocity should be about what I am getting out of a TC Black Mtn Mag with about the same charge of loose Pyro RS. It works well on deer, but I wouldn't expect a passthrough.
How far do you expect to shoot at the hog?

If your shots are going to be inside 125 yards I would lower your powder charge maybe 15-20 grains... Powerbelts are like model T's they perform better at lower velocity.

Huntin Hogs

I have to second that front shoulder bone on a hog. I was watching my friend through binocs as he hunted russian boars. He hit it w/a 348 aero tip in the shoulder, rolled it and it came up pissed. Being single shot weapons my buddy went immediately and concisely to the nearest tree! At which point the look on his face was : Oh sh*-*-*-*t! One of the funniest moments inmy hunting experience. The boar finnally died under the tree as it was bleeding like a, well you know. Good luck and shoot near a climbing tree! Just change that story to ' someday you eat the boar.... ':lol:

I just checked the Hornady 2008 Muzzleloading manual and the 100 gr (2 pellet or loose RS) charge would put you about 1450-1500 fps. I would think you should be ok as long as you don't hit the shoulder (and the pigs are not too big :wink: ). Using t7 2f would bump you up almost 200 fps, which would be too fast for that bullet IMO.

duckmart

I really can't say if you will have to resight or not , BUT I bet that when you drop your powder charge down your groups will tighten up quite abit and if you do have to sight in again it is not going to be by much.
may only take you 3 or 4 shots .

Ron

348g powerbelt with 80g powder will do the job. Also look in the manual that comes with the Powerbelts and you'll see that with loose powder 80-90g is maximum.

338g platinum i believe you could push it faster but if you already have the 348's there is no point in making the switch just yet.

Lots of good tips, thanks guys. And by-the-way, I will be carring my Ruger GP 100 375 mag. loaded with Speer 158gr Golden Dot HP just in case my one shot just pisses that bad boy off.

Doohan said:
If your shots are going to be inside 125 yards I would lower your powder charge maybe 15-20 grains... Powerbelts are like model T's they perform better at lower velocity.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I Like that. Thanks Doohan.

I just tested some 270g Powerbelt Platinums and they are amazing. I shot a few into my 20 yard sand trap with 100g pyrodex select and those suckers did excellent,
338g Platinum on bear would be deadly. The new bullets are tough and i cant even bend any of them in half like i can do either the other copper series.
I am going to set my dad up with the 338 and my brother with the 270 in their sidelocks this season. I'll be using a 224g powerbelt round ball in my .54 great plains flintlock.
Picture244-1.jpg

I shot a couple of elk with a 348 powerbelt aero-tip, killed em dead. an I used 120 grains of T7,elk are 5 times bigger than a little ol pig.
Use your 100 grains and don't worry about it.
Redclub

I do not believe the aero tip has a whole lot to do with penetration, i could be wrong. The aero tip is designed for higher velocity for longer shots. why would you be concerned about a tip on a hog hunt? Also plenty of people hunt hogs with pistol jacket bullets in the 240-300 gr. And thats from people who actually hunt hogs. Now if you want a pretty bullet to go hog hunting then get one with a plastic tip, but i dont think its gonna make a whole lot of difference with in 100 yards anyway :idea:

HP powerbelts like to over expand. And often thin out in the middle of the bullet. The Aerotip helps prevent this from what i find in the tests i do.

With the new Platinum, they now have a smaller hole in the bullet VS the copper series and i think this was done to help control over expansion. The Platinum is worth the few $ more.

Left is the HP, note the thick pedals and how thin the lead is in the center of the bullet VS the Aerotip that has thin pedals and carries a thick chunk of lead in the center.

Picture119.jpg

top to bottom: 295g powerbelt HP
58 yards,
100g pyrodex select,
90g
80g
Picture117.jpg

VS

270g Powerbelt Platinum
90g pyrodex select,
58 yards
Picture237.jpg

100g Pyrodex select @ 20 yards. Same 270g Platinum,
Far left is the 20 yard 100g shot, middle is 90g 58 yard shot and the other one next to it went through 4" of 2x6's so i could see what the bullet would do when it came into contact with something soft and then hard. The sand stopped the bullet.
Picture240-1.jpg

Never used a Powerbelt but they should work well on hogs: Although no one I know uses them.

Here in OK i kill a lot of wild hogs: Hunt them 12 months of the year. Got 19 of them last year; most were bang flops. Most of them are killed with my cheap old CVA Staghorn. It is loaded with two Pyrodex pellets, a .44 caliber 240 grain XTP bullet and a Winchester 209 primer.

Sometimes when i'm stand hunting will take the Encore along. Have made a few long shots with that Encore: One sow was killed at a measured 192 yards. Load for the Encore: 90-120 grains of JSG, a 250 grain SST bullet and a Winchester 209 primer.

Back