Keep load records.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Muzzle loaders. Keep records of all the bullets, powders, wads, sabots, primers, combinations you try (known as recipe). Keep track of your shooting records for group size and velocity if you have a crony. If you can keep all this information in your head your a better man than I. Make a section for each muzzle loader and put them in a binder. Just as important keep track of the loads that dont work and why.

Each center fire rifle I own is sited it in with ammo I have reloaded for it. I keep a binder listing each rifle in its own section. The section for that rifle explains the load recipe in the event it need to be repeated by me or someone else. I keep the information as far as the increments in powder loading and accuracy up to the final load and how those shot as well. . Most sections contain more than 1 recipe as the rifle was used for more than 1 hunting event. Also includes ballistic charts out to 500 yards for each recipe for that rifle and how it is sited on the last date I sighted it in. The latest reloaded ammo is next to it.

Same for 22 mag. with 3-4 different store bought cartridges. I take the last cartridge used and sited the gun in for that cartridge. It has a section in the binder just like the center fires.

Same for .22s. Same as the .22 mag.

I your the kind of person that buys a gun, develops a load, and shoots it for life you will not need a binder. But then again you will likely not participate in this forum for long. Trust me. Start a binder Keep records. Even if you keep records you will get doen the road a few years and with you would have included more info.

One rifle, shooting three (3) different propellants with four (4) different charges.
2 different charges for BH
2 different SML propellants and charges.

Yup, data is printed out after ballistics program completion. I even have tags that go on my scope which tells me which propellant was used last and the last zero stop.

Back