Peddels blowing off

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterlink

Reaction score
Im seem to have a small problem.since i switched from pyro pellets to 777 pellets.im consistently blowing three peddels off of every wad on my TC shock waves.should i go to loose powder and drop to 80gr.or get different sabot's.accuracy is not as good either.
thx. :?

If accuracy is suffering, you definitely need to change something. I never got very good accuracy using any kind of pellets and shoot loose exclusively - it's just what my rifle wants.

I also noticed more recoil with 2 777pellets.than with 2 pyros.i think i might try loose powder.mabey if i back it down the accuracy will come back around.

More info. What is your complete load? What gun? Barrel length?

I went to a little hotter powder and had the same thing happen. I went down to a cooler primmer an solved my problem. I also prefer loose powder.

CVA Firebolt ultramag.24 in fluted bugara barrel.old load.2 pyrodex pellets and a TC shockwave ez glide.held 2 inches clean or dirty.new load.2 777 pellets. and TC shockwave ez glide.both loads useing winchester 209 mzzldr primers.new load was more like a pattern instead of a group.

More info. What is your complete load? What gun? Barrel length?

had a typo on that post. It could be to hot, tearing peddles. Try 1 pellet and see if your patteren will come in to a group. T7 is a hot powder. Maybe try an borrow a crony.

masterlink

CVA Firebolt ultramag.24 in fluted bugara barrel.old

The CVA firebolt did not come with a Bergara barrel it is the standard Spanish barrel

load.2 pyrodex pellets and a TC shockwave ez glide.held 2 inches clean or dirty.

You did not say which SW you were shooting - it was the 40/200 grain the petals coming off is not un-common

new load.2 777 pellets. and TC shockwave ez glide.both loads useing winchester 209 mzzldr primers.new load was more like a pattern instead of a group.

The EZ glide sabots co an can shed petals also - it is not normally a big thing because the sabot has separated from the projectile by the time they break off.

Your group may be effected by the fact that the EZ Glides are to loose for your bore - you may need the black HPH-24 sabots.

I'm by no means any type of expert on anything much less muzzleloading but I'll offer some advise anyway. Don't worry about peddles, worry about accuracy of the bullet you are shooting. The peddles won't put meat in the freezer. It sounds like you need to keep working on your load if your going to use loose powder. I have an Omega and hunt in a state that only allows conicals during ML season. It took me almost a year to find a load that is accurate. Don't get discouraged and try different powder measures and bullets.

Im useing TC shock wave's 250 gr.Hornady SST.250gr.both with ez glide sabot.and TC cheap shots with black sabot.the black sabot stayed together.the box my CVA came in says Bugara spain on it thats why i thought it had the Bugara barrel.iv'e seen the gun shoot one ragged hole before.so i know its just a matter off finding the right combo.I could get used to the heaver recoil of 2 777 pellets vs 2 pyros but i dont care for it.might go to loose powder so i can reduce the load.Mountain state muzzle loader supply is right down the road from my house. so what ever i need is easy and quick to get.
thx.

masterlink

Im useing TC shock wave's 250 gr.Hornady SST.250gr.both with ez glide sabot.and TC cheap shots with black sabot.the black sabot stayed together.

That is why I was suggesting that the 'easy glide' might be to thin of a sabot, and the Black MMP HPH-24 sabot my be a better fit.

the box my CVA came in says Bugara spain on it thats why i thought it had the Bugara barrel.iv'e seen the gun shoot one ragged hole before.

You said in one of your posts that it was a CVA FireBolt - the Firebolt is a very old gun. A few of the new CVA's do come with a Bergara barrel which is an excellent barrel. The FireBolt came with a Spainish Extruded Barrel.

If you check the current CVA site site they do not make a FireBolt any longer - and never heard of a CVA Ultramag...

http://www.cva.com/products.html

Here is a link to the barrels

http://www.bergarabarrels.com/

Call Del Ramsey at MMP if you need to know for sure...

But I have talked with Del and Sabotloader is correct.... the 40/50 is designed to shear the petals.

Many good ideas here, however I for one will echo Cajun ...worry about accuracy. And yes, the 777 will kick the snot out of ya....don't cha just love it??
SST's typically like to be pushed as do Barnes. 110- 120 777ffg

Yes it is old.a2000 model to be exact.i got it new old stock last year after deer season.never had muzzle loader before but wanted one.my local gun shop had it hanging on the wall.when i ask about it they said 60 bucks.so i jumped on it.not nowing (anything) about muzzle loading.im still happy i bought it though.and im going to loose powder and the black sabots.thanks for all the help.

2 pellets - 250gr hornady XTP in short black mmp-12 sabot. I forget if that bullet is .451 or .452"

None of my cva's have shot the easy loading sabots or mmp-24's worth a darn.

Masterlink:

I use t7 ff loose 110gn with a 300gn Shockwave and the sheer the peddels, but as for accuracy 1 in to 3/4 if I do my part, and yes t7 does have a kick.

I pulled the gun back out and looked at it. and it says Fire bolt Ultra Mag.if i can get decent picture of where it says it i will try to post it.

Deer

Great Shot!

Jim Mumpower, of Powder Springs, GA killed this nice 5 x 5 Elk near Steamboat Springs, CO at High Meadows Ranch. Jim shot the bull with his Firebolt 209 Ultra-Mag rifle and a 295 grain PowerBelt Bullet. One shot from 75 yards was all that was required to down the large bodied 800 lb elk.

Reliability Tested

Joe Gutierrez put the reliability of his FireBolt & its #209 ignition to the test during a Colorado snowstorm. Joe shot this 5x5 241 elk at 50 yards on opening day.

Dependable Every Time

Mitch Holyfield was forced to borrow his buddy Joe Gutierrez's FireBolt to harvest his 5x5 Elk after another brand of rifle failed to connect at close range on an even bigger bull. Mitch and his wife Deanna are pictured claiming his trophy.

Accuracy...Every Time

Fred Pace, of Athens, GA took his first muzzleloader Elk using a FireBolt Ultra-Mag and PowerBelt bullet. This 5x5 bull weighed close to 800 pounds and Fred credits the rifle's fiber/optic sights for the double lung shot at 90 yards.

Chad Schearer

Montanian Chad Schearer, co-host of Blackpowder Guns and Hunting TV, took this great Arizona bull while filming with Van Hale's Trophy Outfitters. Chad used his CVA Kodiak with a the help of a 275 grain aerotip PowerBelt. He dumped this 300 plus elk at over 125 yards. Great shot placement, Chad!

Nuf said!

ya, you know the more I think about - I think it did say Ultra mag - I was just thinking it said 'Firebolt Magnum" - I have not have one for many years now. I bought one from Wal-Mart when they first came out and since I am old - my memoriy is slipping....

Remeber with this gun you can shoot a 150 grains of pellets, but originally it was limited to 100 grains of loose powder. It is NOT a Bergara Barrel so do not shoot the loads suggested for a Bergara barrel.

Thought I could find a picture but no luck... I did find a picture

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =129852491

Here is the manual

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREAR ... inline.pdf

Latest posts

Back