Juker Kentucky

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old and grumpy

Reaction score
Some time back I was looking at a Juker flint. Looked too long and lost it.

Today I pulled the trigger fast on a percussion in better condition at a lower price.

This came from the same shop that said my  Rem Zouave  was a Enfield. They are right on track. This was labeled .50 and it's .45 cal.  I did not call them on either. Less they know the better price I get!   

So this is the new girl with the pistol I built.  Will put a extended rear sight on her like this one on the pistol.
modify_inline.gif
index.php

Juker Kentucky 006.JPG (595.64 kB, 1200x900 - viewed 0 times.)
index.php

Juker Kentucky 009.JPG (531.88 kB, 1200x900 - viewed 0 times.)
index.php

This will probably be Christmas for my kid.  He don't know that he likes BP yet. But he does! :D

The rifle is fairly old so they were still using wood with some nice grain.  The plan is to strip it, thin and re shape parts  of the stock so it looks more like a custom gun than a kit and re blue the barrel.  I had a real good link on how to do this but Photobucket  screwed it up with the crap they are pulling.

http://www.tradrag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5418

Sounds like a really fun project 'grumpy.  I often though about going that route myself.   Restoration or refinishing a firearm is a great way to get a custom look...especially if one doesn't have the woodworking skills like our Admin does. 

You shouldn't need that PB link.  We seem to have many forum members with diverse skills...as well as those that are yet to be discovered.

The problem is pictures. OLD FARTS LIKE PICTURES. I did study the link back when I was looking at the flint so I have a good idea what to do. Now the pics are gone.

I will treat this as if it was a new out of the box kit.  A new kit is $300 ish for a Traditions. This was $130 .Traditions,CVA and Juker are all almost the same kit. My CVA Kentucky pistol and Colonial kit are Juker made.  So far CVA parts are Juker parts. 

When I built the pistol I had never held or seen a Kentucky up close. A lot of little things I would do different If I had that link back then. Remove a lot more wood.

Think I will go lighter on the finish. Thin and shape the for end and wrist. Might re shape the front of the comb?  Will spend time looking at originals on line first.

Man that guy did a heck of a job on that old rifle. I would have never thought of doing what he did. 

Congrats on the new rifle you got. And especially on getting a 45 caliber gun. 45s are my favorite caliber. I have own rifles in 32, 36, 45, 50 and 54 and just keep coming back to the 45. It has more than enough power for the small Tx deer I hunt and its easy on a pound of powder.

i believe accuracy with a 45 cal round ball can not be unsurpassed if loaded right in the right rifle.

My 45 of choice right now is my Cabelas Hawken that I bought as a kit for $129 with free shipping sometime back in the early or mid 1990s. They haven't offered that caliber in a long, long time. My gun has the best looking wood of all the firearms I own. I think the stock must have been cut from near the base of the tree.

It has gold and brown bands through the wood and the gold looks so deep you could reach down into it. And it shoots like crazy. I bet I have fired a 1000+ balls down the barrel. Its my most shot BP rifle. When we go shoot its the one I always grab first.

I did just get a Pedersoli Dixie Pennsylvania percussion off Gunbroker for a really good price. I haven't fired it yet. I like it but its too damn long. I am thinking about selling it. The one I really want is the Pedersoli Scout in 45 caliber with a 28" barrel. I even thought about shortning the gun I have. It would be a simple job but several have asked me not to do that. I think they are correct.

Nice smokers!  I got a chuckle out of your comment "he doesn't know he likes BP yet"....
I had my two sons 11 and 12 years old shoot BP, both caplocks and flintlock, and rifle and shotgun. The younger said "this is way more fun than regular rifles" and the 12 year old said "This is MY new rifle" in regard to the 54 flintlock.  You are going to love giving that as a gift and watching the appreciation afterwards!

Back