Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Lyman GPR and a GPH. Both are a bit heavy and long to carry afield. A Mountain Rifle would be similar. TC Renegades and Hawkins are lighter, but are no longer made. I started out with a Hawken, but TC was still making them then. But, as others have said, there's a lot of them around. If you have problems, you could always pick up another as a 'parts daisy'.

However, starting out now, I'd take a long look at the Lyman Deer Stalker. It's light, handy, accurate and made to be carried afield. It's not as traditional as a GPR or a Mountain Rifle, but it'll be easier to live with. Plus, it's still being made (or will be once the Italians recover from Covid). If you like the idea of Patched Roundball, look at the .54.

I've owned lots of T/C rifles over he years. Never cared much for the Renegade, too clubby, not as slim as the Hawken.
Just my opinion.

So I got (am getting once it arrives) a T/C Renegade in .54. I looked at the Hawken style rifles and whilst I really liked them, I decided it was more brass than I wanted. The renegade suits my needs exactly, at least until I find another must have rifle. I looked at a Johnathon Browning Mountain Rifle but the guy wanted big coin with no ram rod and it was being sold "as is" over the net. I walked away from that one! I think I made a good choice and I am going to be happy with what I got. Thanks for the advice guys...

Back