I'll Be Darned: A Friend's Ruger Old Army

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KC sounds like he needs a drop in cylinder for shooting 45 colt. He doesn't sound like a patient person at all

Kentucky Colonel said:
Thanks, Jack. 

What do guys use to seal the load in the chamber if you were to seal the chamber? I want to have all the options available for Spartan

QUOTE FROM RUGER OA MANUAL:
Bore butter or Crisco I guess. Some times I'll use wonder wads and grease them between the powder and ball. Seals it, lubes, and not as messy to load or to shoot.

Those bullets have TWO or more rings of bore butter around it AND it shaves off a little of that top ring. IF that don't seal it I don't think a smear of Crisco on top is going to.

Did I mention I fill those lube rings with bore butter? Or crisco but  usually bore butter. I lube a bunch at home and then put them in the plastic holder for the T/C maxi balls for reloads.

check out dick dastardly
he has designed bullets that carry lots of lube and shoots them out of his ruger old army
I also use them in the ruger old army. can also use same bullets in a 45 long colt shell with no problems.
i cant post links due to being new member.
google search Dick Dastardly big lube bullets

in his links you will see whyte leatherworks for bullets
you can order cast bullets from whyte leather works. i really like the [font=Georgia, Times, serif]EPP-UG 155 gr bullets for my ruger old armys.
[/font]

i have 2 of them and love shooting them

Been shooting my R.O.A.  for years with a'' stainless''  KIRST  .45 COLT   (known  Incottectly as LONG).
A pleasure to shoot........the ROA barrel is the SAME barrel as used on the BLACKHAWK.

I would NOT use smokeless in the original cylinder but RUGER  tested  theirs ,loaded  with BULLSEYE......the gun just can not be damaged  by any modern,over the counter,available to the public  powder( RUGERS words NOT mine) there WAS issues with a ''flamethrower'' exiting thru the nipples......
                                             JUST SAYING,THE ROA is STRONG.

I have shot R.B.,and LEE mold cast.r.e.a.l. projectiles of pure lead . the R.B. are more accurate....
         its an excellent  handgun,regardless of what one loads and shoots.....
 the STAINLESS cylinder looks good on the blue ROA.  Sort of like a SEVILLE / Les Flowers.
25 gr.fffG and r,b. is a great target load........
LYMANS  Blackpowder book ......the magazine size one, lists  4F  powder loads for the R.O.A.                                    WASATCH CHARLIE....

A guy name of Kaido Ojama sells a Lee mould (custom) that is like the one Lee sells but his has a flat nose. Supposed to be the cat's meow. I like round balls. .45 Colt cyl. holds less powder. Some guys try to magnumize those things. News flash, they make those kinds of things already but not supposed to be talking about things like this on this board anyway.

I fortunately never experienced chain fire in a c&b revolver though I've only owned two of them. The more likely cause of chain fires is spark-over on the nipple end of the cylinder. Ball, and I guess even bullets, pretty much seal up the chambers from the front.

Kaido bullets are great. I shoot the 245 grain with 30 grains of 3F Pyrodex. I grease the bullets with some wonder lube or lube he sells which I think is part bees wax and part toilet seal wax. They shoot great and have tremendous knock down power. They are very accurate out to fifty yards which is all I have shot them. I found him years ago after reading an article online. There are some Youtube videos of a guy, Mike Beliveau that does a lot of videos on the KAIDO bullets with different Black Powder revolvers. Kaido makes conicals in about 5 weights and .36 & .44 cal. He sells them cast in lots of 25 or you can buy a $100 mold if you shoot them a lot. Here is one of the videos- Kaido bullets- versus roundball for hunting
Good luck.
Here is his email- he will send you a price list if you want. He is slow getting back to you sometimes.

[email protected]

VKV Products & Services
254 Betsy Ross Drive
Orangeburg, N.Y.10962
U.S.A.

Mike

Back