Idea!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the only thing I'd be hesitant about is the sun glaring off of it. Other than that I can't see why it won't work. I do remember seeing a product that was actually made for deer hunting I think called the "deer view mirror". Might be worth checking out.

I thought of the sun glare, but try to situate myself with the sun at my back, makes it harder for the deer to see me. The deer coming in from behind will have the sun behind them also, will just have to try it and see. I might put some camo tape on it too depending on how shiney it is.

I hunt on the ground now, and in a blind (probably won't need it in the blind)but with the HECs suit they walk right up behind. I had three deer do that last year, never saw the first and another time a doe and spike saw me and ran off when I moved, no shot and I wasn't gonna shoot the spike anyway..

Never heard of the deer view mirror, will check it out, thanks! 8) 8)

I've been surprised from an unexpected direction a fair amount. Depending on the stand,cover, and how things are orientated I allocate scan time in different directions every handful of minutes. It depends on likely approach routes and if 'prime time' or not.

There are usually plenty of squirrels making 'deer noises', but often I hear deer first. If the woods is damp or wet it may be just some slow movement between the trees. It's nice to see them early so one can twist somewhat for the shot, so limited movement is needed when close. Any downwind side/approaches need to be watched carefully to deal with before they may get in your 'scent cone'.

A rear view mirror may be worth trying, though I really want to know a deer is coming before it gets on top of me. There will always be a few missed opportunities, that's hunting. Not getting a shot at an anterless isn't often a big deal, but a lost opportunity at the wall hangar can haunt a hunter for years.

Neat idea :yeah:

If you get a lot of glare, that just might work to your advantage, when the deer put there front hoof up to block the glare to see, shooooot 'em!

Latest posts

Back