I might have found an affordable 54x50 option

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Ive tried the Rainier 50-300gr HPs but found out they dont hold up too well. Fine for paper but a 54x45 GoldDot 300gr held up sooooo much better with the same amount of powder. Good $23/100 paper puncher though.

It turns out Rainier makes a 335gr HP 50cal mainly for Alexandria Arms 50 Beowulf ammo...rated at around 1800fps+. Ive been waiting for months for Midway to get some in. They have been back ordered for a long time and my LGS could not get them either.

I ordered just one box of 100 for less than $27 plus some other stuff. After inspecting them i wished i had bought more. I havent made a cross section yet but the weight variation is better and the plating appears thicker. Looks almost like a GoldDot in the center of the hollow point also. The cavity and scoring look different than the 300gr 50s.

After more research AA does not use the Rainier 300 HP either they use a GoldDot for 50A&E in the 300gr ammo. Checked back with Midway and they are BOed again and i think the price went up a bit.

The few GoldDot 300gr 50s ive tried did very well considering most were made for 50A&E instead of 50S&W/Beowulf performance levels. They are usually around $24 for 50 though.

This weekend looks like good weather in the mornings before it gets too hot and i got a bunch more media to destroy. :twisted: If they work out i think i found a good cheap hog smasher and a good supply of hogs. :yeah:

I gave them a quick try today but its just plain hot then the rain came in. The dozen or so i did shoot were very good in the LK93 with 90 and 100gr of BH209. The Knight slipon for the LK93 really worked well too.

I know this isnt a high end load but it really felt mild with the slipon, it felt milder than a 50-300gr and no slipon. Just playing around i put up a old brake rotor painted white for a cheap "gong" and the load blew a hole in the rotor. :D

So then i had to try it out on a piece of plate we use for gongs and it left one helluva dent in it at 50 yards. :yeah:

I got to put this one through the expansion media tests for sure now.

Latest posts

Back