Howdy from Wyoming

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzyhans

Reaction score
New member here. Just started getting back into muzzleloading.
Have a CVA Stag Horn Magnum, a CVA Optima V2, and a Savage ML-II in need of a new barrel.

My interests are modern muzzleloaders and hunting. Have a ton to learn, and look forward to tapping into the wealth of knowledge here.

Welcome from Illinois. That savage in need of a new barrel has a ton of possibilities.
Yes. I'm hoping to dredge up some ideas here. I've read .45 conversion is popular. I bought the stainless ML-II for $250, and a buddy has the tools for a Savage swap. Idk might get rid of the barrel nut in the process.

I'm just anxious to find the right barrel for my needs and get it in my hands.

Welcome from Indiana.Lived in Laramie when I got out of the marines and 12 years ago Ilived in Lander for awhile,then moved to Indiana when my older brothe passed.Would love to go back some day.

Well ... Allot has changed today. 😂
I was able to back out of the savage and pass it along to someone else. One Gunsmith, kinda famous for working on the ML-II's, told me to "run like the gingerbread man"! 😆

So that's what I did. I'm not disappointed in either of my two other ML's so I'm not heartbroken. Shot the optima yesterday and the stag today. Both shot excellent with a couple of Magnum pellets and 250gr Hornady' (SST and XTP respectively).

Cleaning them to my standards bums me out. So much work!
But still kinda fun...

Cleaning them to my standards bums me out. So much work!
But still kinda fun...
I've been shooting muzzleloaders since the early 70s and still learn a few things in here. Ine is cleaning your rifle with Baristol. I use a 1:10 mix Baristol and water, dry with alcohol and then lube the bore with Barricade. I always stand my muzzleloaders muzzle down on a cloth for a day after cleaning to avoid any oil settling in the breech area.

I've been shooting muzzleloaders since the early 70s and still learn a few things in here. Ine is cleaning your rifle with Baristol. I use a 1:10 mix Baristol and water, dry with alcohol and then lube the bore with Barricade. I always stand my muzzleloaders muzzle down on a cloth for a day after cleaning to avoid any oil settling in the breech area.
Very cool. I may give that a go. Currently I'm using Windex and clp. Industrial anti seize for the breach plug.

Back