how to choose bullet & sabot combinations?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalberg

Reaction score
With hope that Minnesota was going to allow scopes on muzzleloaders this year I have put off sighting in my CVA Wolf. Now that it sounds like that isn't going to happen I would like to get and and shot this thing some more. I have read many post on using different bullets and sabots. But nobody has really addressed the basic topic of size. How do you know what size bullet to use (not grain) and how do you choose a sabot to match. I see most people like XTPs or shockwaves for bullets and lots of talk about harvester crush rib sabots. I currently have only shot Power Belts in this gun. I liked them just for the easy of loading but they seem to get a lot of bad posts. Any way can some one go over the steps of putting together a combination. Thanks in advance
Doug

Trial and error I guess. You have to find what your rifle likes. I'd pick a bullet you want to use and then an assortment of sabots and find the one that's right for you with that bullet in your rifle. THe XTP's or SST are a good starting choice. Usually the short black sabots from MMP will work fine.

Don

There is no actual way to match a sabot & bullet Combo to be a perfict match . Most of us have several differant types of sabots & bullets setting around to try , The only thing that is going to tell you what to shoot is your gun it's self , your gun will tell you what it likes in bullet / Sabot combo and powder charge. If your gun has a tight bore a good sabot would be the MMP 3 peddle or MMP 24 or the Harvester crushrib sabot
as far as bullets the XTPs are a fine choise and the TC SW or Hornady SST all of these are a good starting point . and the type of hunting you do also like open fields - hardwoods - thick brush , I would not want to use a 200gr sw for thick cover but would be a great choise for long range open fields.
I find that the 44cal ( .429 - .429.5 - .430 ) bullets in a 300gr have shot the best out of my guns along with the harvester green Crush Rib sabots with 100gr of loose 2fg 777 powder.
The best shooting bullet in my Knight Disc Extremes MH are the Sierra 300gr (.429.5 ) with Green crush Rib Sabot - My second best is a Hornady (.430 ) 300gr with same sabot . But I like a heavy bullet !
If you want to shoot Conical type bullets Look in to the bullshop conicals ( dan's ) conicals are the best Quality & Price of any.

RON

Wolf

250 grain shockwaves / easy glide sabot, 80-85 grains T7 loose. All can be bought at Mao Mart or most box stores. Keep shots under 100 yards. The barrel is short so beyond 100 yards or pushing the bullets too fast will only frustrate you. Wolf is a great gun, but keep it clean immediately after using. Have fun shoot safe.

"I find that the 44cal ( .429 - .429.5 - .430 ) bullets in a 300gr" Lungbuster how did you know to choose a 44 cal bullet in the first place? I would then assume that you need a 50 caliber sabot that will hold a 44 caliber bullet.? AM I way off base here.
Doug

Doug

Not at all you are right on track, I tried many differant bullets and sabot combos from .45cal all the way to .40cal you can shoot any sized bullets as long as you have the right sabots to fit . Also most of the 44cal. bullets have a better SD & BC witch is were you get your deep penetration from.

I will pm you on some things.

Ron

I think I'm starting to get this. You have 50 caliber sabots that hold either 45 caliber bullets or 44 caliber bullets. Thus the color change I read about green 44 and black 45 in the MMP. How about Harvester Crush Rib also different colors? Then try some different bullets in 44 or 45 caliber and see what shoots the best. Change up you powder charge and try some more.

Any way can some one go over the steps of putting together a combination.

Be sure to try a 250gr SST/Shockwave. More than likely it will be one of the more accurate bullets.

If you go to the Harvester sight or the MMP site you will see caliber and bullet diam charts that show the corresponding colors. You may find this helpful.

You can get them pistol bullets in bulk once you find what weight bullet you want. For me the harvester crush ribs work the best with a 240gr 45cal (.452) im still tryin new combos tthats what its all about right

Keep the charges at 80g with the 245-295 powerbelts and they will do serious damage to the deer you are shooting. 338+, 90g powder.

Powerbelts are all we have used since 2002 and many deer have fallen to the 295 powerbelts and a couple other powerbelt weights.

Bad reports are mostly from people shootign 150g mag loads and the deer only being 30 to 50 yards away. 150g isnt needed at all. Its a marketing scam for the newbe's that have no experience with muzzle loading.

If todays muzzle loaders were rated for 400 grains of powder, You can bet there would be a darn good number of fools that would use it simply because "Thats what my muzzle loader says it can handle"

I always start off with the cheaper bullets like the maxi balls/hunters and once its on sight, i will then switch to powerbelts.

I have a CVA Wolf and just shot it yesterday. It has a Bushnell banner scope (4X with Circle Recticle). The gun handled 120 gr of powder with ease and did not have anything flying out the end.

I used Pyrodex powder, a volumetric measure, and Winchester 777 primers. The powder burned off very well and the gun stayed pretty clean - I ran one patch thru after about 5 or 6 shots and it wasn't worth it. Impresive.

Started off with 60 gr and 295 hp powerbelt. Got the scope zeroed at 25 and then 50 yards with the PB bullets.

Then I switched to 300 Gr Shockwave Super Glide Sabots and Barnes Red Hots in EZ Load Sabots - 120 gr powder at 100 yards. Both loaded easily with the supplied rod and NO handle - they pushed down easily....more easily than the PB bullets!

Both bullets hit within 1.5 inches of each-other. I only was able to shoot 7 rounds. trying to keep everything inside a 4-inch box with a 1 inch box inside...it didn't happen. All but one of the shots felt good - my 'groups" were probably around 4-inch with just 3 of each fired with the 120 gr.

My buddy (his hunt club) has A,D.D. or something and we left before either of us was completely zeroed in.

I plan on trying 100 gr of powder on the next trip to the range... 5 weeks to go for my M-L hunting.

Latest posts

Back