How do you carry Conicals in the field for hunting?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieTN

Reaction score
For those of you who hunt with lead Conicals and a traditional rifle (percussion or flint), how do you carry the lead Conicals in the field for a reload if needed? I’ve got a loading block made up for my PRB loads.

Thanks.

CVA or Traditions made a speed loader with separate compartments, one for bullet, one for powder. Clear plastic with rubbery end caps. Big enough for 58 cal.
I’ll have to look for those. Years ago I had some off the TC Speedloaders that were sized for .54 but have not been able to find them.

I use these. Put the ball in one end powder in the other end. I mark the powder end with red nail polish so I know which end to open first. These are tubes and with the caps open, you can ram the ball into your barrel through the tube. The end caps also have a holder for a #11 primer, if that's what you use.

Lightning Loader.jpg

I appreciate everyone’s input, one of the things I love about this group.

I also apologize. I should have mentioned these would be for .54 cal Conicals. I can find lots that will work with .50, but not much that works with .54.

Anyone know of a loader that will hold greased Lee REAL bullets? Specific to me is 50 which is somewhere in the 0.520 to 0.517 size range (need to measure them again).

Last edited:
I have multiple types from over the years. Many of the earlier ones didn't have a separate compartment for a cap or priming charge like many newer ones. What I've done with those is place a cap on a piece of tape and tape it to the side of the loader. Make sure it's long enough to go all the way around and a little more, I've only lost one cap when I needed it but I always have my capper within reach.

Anyone know of a loader that will hold greased Lee REAL bullets? Specific to me is 50 which is somewhere in the 0.520 to 0.517 size range (need to measure them again).

Not sure but perhaps some of those tubes that some of the ML bullets come in might work. Like Hornady bullets, ect.

With a conical for my .54 I use a speed loader to hold them as well. The TC 4-in-1 loaders are what I have.

Latest posts

Back