Hornady FTX vs XTP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jg2006

Reaction score
I'm new to muzzeloading and I'm looking for a good bullet to try that's relatively inexpensive. I'd like to try some from the Barnes line but they're spendy do the next best option in my eyes is Hornady. I shot the FTX bullets in my 44 mag rifle with great results (accuracy and knockdown power) before and now I'm wondering how they would shoot with a proper sabot. There are several bullet options in regards to diameter and grains as they're used for 44 mag, 444 marlin, and 45-70.

Who has used any of these and what kind of accuracy have you gotten? what loads have you used? experiences at longer ranges - like 150-200 yds?

I've read a lot on here about XTP's being a good round too but part of my reason to sell my 44 rifle and buy a muzzeloader was to extend my range and i don't know how much the wide-mouthed XTP's would slow down at longer ranges.

I have a new CVA Optima and plan on putting a 3x9 Bushnell MZ200 0scope on it and will be using loose pyrodex to start off at least

Thanks

Well I have shot both the .430 265 gr. FTX and the .458 325 gr. FTX from my knight with good accuracy to 100 yds. I have not shot farther but imagune that the groups would not fall apart that fast. My go to load is the 44 cal 265 FTX in a MMP Green sabot on top of 120 gr. BH 209. It prints under one inch groups for me at 100 yds. The other load is the 458 cal. 325 FTX in a MMP Orange sabot on top of 110 gr. T7 3F this prints pretty close to one hole accuracy for me at 100 yds. As fot the XTP's thay are a great bullete but tend to come apart at high velocity impacts, ex(. close range) but if you could get them to shoot well from your gun 200 yds. is not that ahrd to acheive. Another choise that others on here will recomend will be the Speer Deep Curl in either 452 cal 250 and 300 gr. some also use the 44 cal 270 gr.

Hornet22savage said:
...As fot the XTP's thay are a great bullete but tend to come apart at high velocity impacts, ex(. close range) ....

I have never had this issue. All of my shots on game have been between 15 and 50 yds. I run my 250 grain XTP's at just under 2000 fps at the muzzle in MMP black sabots over about 100 grains/vol. of Blackhorn 209 powder. The only time I have seen a bullet come apart was a glancing blow on the front shoulder bone and it still penetrated fine and was a clean kill nonetheless.

Others may have different experiences, but this has been mine on the 5 deer I have taken with this bullet.

You can try the 44cal FTX bullets. I would suggest the Harvester smooth green sabot in the Optima. The little 225gr FTX might be an excellent fun bullet but im not sure how well it would perform on deer. The 265gr made for 444 Marlin should be an excellent bullet if it shoots for you.

I like the 458-325gr FTX with some pretty stiff loads of BH209 in the MMP Orange Sabot. Its kinda over kill for deer at close range and recoil is harsh in a light gun. They fly pretty good though and retain a good amount of energy at longer ranges.

I have very good results on deer with XTP's--both .430's and .452's--and the Hornady SST (their ML FTX bullet). I would not hesitate to hunt with whatever Hornady bullet shot best in my rifle. The pointy SST's shoot a little flatter, but the XTP's do fine. I have killed Iowa whitetails with the 300 grn XTP to 170+ yds and the bullets penetrate and expand very well at ML velocities.

I have a lot of confidence in my rifle and I know my load's trajectory. I use a good laser range finder and a Bog Pod and feel good about making shots to 200.

And you asked about accuracy--my T/C rifles will shoot 300 grn XTP's or 250 grn SST's (or FTX's) in Harvester sabots and with Blackhoorn209 powder into 1 to 1 1/2 groups at 100 yds. At 200 yds, 3 shots consistently go into 2 to 3", especially with the 250 SST's.

Have fun.

thanks for the replies - I think I'm going to try the 265 gr FTX to start with and I'll check out the Speer line as well

There is nothing wrong with the XTP and its large hollow point or flat meplat. The Speer is that way too. I do not see that as a draw back for the range of shooting you are talking about, out to 200 yds. I have my nephew shooting the 300gn standard .452 XTP in the Harvestor Crush rib over 2 777 Pellets (I can't get him to switch to loose). He has taken deer from 50 yards out to the last 2 at 175-180 yards and all were pass throughs. He is very happy with that load. I like the large meplat bullet as I believe that the large front on the bullet hits with a bit more shock, but that is just my way of thinking. If we were talking about long range centerfire, I would go with the pointy bullet instead. I don't really think that it matters in the ranges most of us are shooting with the ML.

Bullet talk is fun, however, between me and my hunting partners, we've shot a lot of deer with many different projectiles. Each bullet has done the job when properly placed.

My current line of thinking is to find the one that shoots the best out of your gun. You're better off with a well placed shot with so, so terminal performance than being off the mark with a great performing bullet.

I stay away from Powerbelts but can't think of another bullet I wouldn't use if it shot the best.

I know XTP's are effective and I the 325 FTX's shoot well for me but i've never taken an animal with them.

Bullet talk is fun, however, between me and my hunting partners, we've shot a lot of deer with many different projectiles. Each bullet has done the job when properly placed.

My current line of thinking is to find the one that shoots the best out of your gun. You're better off with a well placed shot with so, so terminal performance than being off the mark with a great performing bullet.

I stay away from Powerbelts but can't think of another bullet I wouldn't use if it shot the best.

I know XTP's are effective and I the 325 FTX's shoot well for me but i've never taken an animal with them.

Latest posts

Back