Hodgdon Powder Company Acquires RCBS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hodgdon now has a monopoly on all of the available Black Powder substitutes.

This is the reason they can charge over $80 for a half pound of BH209.

Time for somebody to produce an alternative...

Is this as a result of the RCBS acquisition? Or independent of that?

tell us more....

Is their N32C powder safe to use in muzzies?

From my testing with different loads in "MY CVA Scout 45-70 conversion" with the longer DI ASG replacement plug that is specifically setup for lighter saboted/bore rider loads. N110 is safe in "MY CVA Scout 45-70 conversion". 🙂

From my testing with different loads in "MY CVA Scout 45-70 conversion" with the longer DI ASG replacement plug that is specifically setup for lighter saboted/bore rider loads. N110 is safe in "MY CVA Scout 45-70 conversion". 🙂

sounds like a cool setup and a ton of fun. I wouldn't say it's a BH209 substitute though. For those of us who have modern conventional inline muzzle loaders we are stuck between a rock and a hard place

sounds like a cool setup and a ton of fun. I wouldn't say it's a BH209 substitute though. For those of us who have modern conventional inline muzzle loaders we are stuck between a rock and a hard place
Its not a substitute. BH209 is not in the same league as N110. It's far superior. Yeah, it sounds like y'all are if your state doesn't allow it.

More consolidation, less diversity and competition = higher prices. Watch, The BH209 8 oz. bottle will soon be north of $100. Jokes aside, it's making me seriously think about going smokeless.

Me personally I never got into BH 209. For my sidelocks and inlines I’ve stayed with Black Powder.
I actually enjoy the smoke and smell. It’s what I started with over 40 years ago.
Cleaning is tedious, but if you have a system it’s not bad to me.
What I have done is delve into the smokeless.
I have a 10 ML converted to 209 instead of the module that I bought from a member on here.
And have on order a Patriot.
Been reloading for over 40 years so the switch to smokeless is less daunting.

Back