Here’s why….

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I’m often asked while doing my venison sausage, why I feel the need to make so much. This question usually comes from non-hunters. Late last year I was doing my summer sausage and was asked why I needed to make 50 pounds of it.

I just sent the question asker this picture along with “here’s why”. That’s all I said. I wonder if she’ll remember.

Attachments

• IMG_1457.jpeg
    IMG_1457.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Good reply and looks good. I'd like to give making my own sausage a try this year. You have any tips or recipes you'd be willing to share?

Just do some reading on it. Keep an area for grinding and stuffing VERY clean and dust free. Try to time your grinding/stuffing/smoking to weather at or slightly below 32 degrees. Keep a couple ice cream pails of water with a light bleach mix in it handy at a couple locations and wipe down knives and tools as you are finished using them, even if for a few minutes.

I pick up some heavy plastic sheeting, like for a drop cloth, and cover my work tables with it. The plastic is easy to wipe clean of blood or fat. Use paper towels, not cloth wipes. Keep any pets out of the area you're working in and try to minimize other people from wandering into your work area.... its easier to keep track of people who are known to be not sick from entering the work area.

Use good pork in your sausages at a ratio of at least 40% fatty pork to 60% very lean venison. I use a 50-50 blend personally. If you're going to mix your own spices, use quality products, not dollar store el-cheapo crap. If you want to use seasonings already mixed there are several on-line sources as well as products found at sporting goods stores and farm/home stores. Personally I use Waltons.com for all of my seasonings, casings and cures. The stick in the picture was done with Walton's summer sausage seasoning. My snack sticks, jerky, breakfast sausage and ring bologna all are done using Walton's products. If you're making sticks, use "smoke" designated casings in 19 to 21mm. Casings designated as "fresh" will tear apart if hung to smoke. Use a good quality probe-type, instant read, thermometer to determine internal temp of sausages.

A simple rule for venison is anything that is going to get smoked has to have cure in it to assure safe food in the end. Summer sausage, snack sticks and jerky need to reach a temperature of at least 152 degrees for the cure to effectively kill the bad bacteria that can come in on the meat regardless of whether the meat is /has been kept cold or frozen.

^^^^^great write-up Mr. Tom
For those that are just dunking a toe, I can suggest starting out with "Hi Mountains Home Sausage Making kit"...

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/hi-...VFg-tBh2lTgzvEAQYASABEgKx4_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
We still use this kit, and the warden and I like it lean, but not dry. For 30Lbs, we use 8 pounds pork butt and 22 lean quality cuts of venison. Triscuits, thick sharp cheddar, and the sausage make a great meal, anytime.

Hope she appreciates the way you wrap your meat.

Where did you get the carbon fiber holster wrap?
And that is one good looking RONCO slicer dicer and sticker.
I think I would seal the wood with tung oil. Thanks for the thread, sir.

Last edited:
Back