Terry went to Church - i went to the Rock Pit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well, I got that new to me 45 cal Knight DISC Extreme MHC last week and I was really itching to get out and shoot it. I mounted a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9x40 on it and bore sighted it on Satuday - so I was pretty much ready to go.

Rounded up all the different 40 cal bullets I had. 200 grain XTP's, 180 grain Gold Dots, 200 grain Lehighs, and 200 grain SW's (and not I did not buy these they were given to me). I also took Harvester light blue sabots and MMP light tan/brown sabots.

As I was driving out the the Rock Pit I devised my plan, and it was kinda devised with the Leghigh in mind. Since the Lehigh is so long it does not do to well in a 1/28 - 1/30 twist unless it is driven at speeds greater than 2300 fps or so the math says. Because of this I decided to shoot 120 grains of T7-2f in the DISC - I was pretty confident that this would drive the 200's @2300 fps +. I did not thake the chrono so I really do not know for sure.

When I got to the pit I set everything up on the tailgate and decided what order I might shoot these bullets... Decided to go with the:

200 grain XTP's first
180 grain Gold Dots next
200 grain Lehighs
200 grain SW's...

Here is a picture of the setup on the tailgate...

DSCN0983-1.jpg

I shot the 200 XTP's with shot #1 being shot from a clean bore - followed by 2 & 3. Not very impressed - but most of it was me and a brand new gun.

Next were the 180 grain Gold Dots - adjusted the scope 16 clicks left (faulty math on my part) Shot the GD's (4-5-6) and also not to impressed.

Then the Lehigh's - hoping I was shooting them fast enough. Again adjusted the scope 10 more clicks left - loaded up and punched some more holes. Still nothing to tell mom about. It is a four shot group as #9 stunk so I thought I could tighten it with #10...

Finally the Shockwaves.. OK they were better, actually that was the very first time I shot SW's - I am not a pointy bullet fan, but I had and need to use them for something. I also felt I was getting a better feeling for the gun and the trigger.

Here is the 25 yard target... niether target today are great...

6-745cal25yard.jpg

Next I re-posted a target and moved the board back to 100 yards and started to repeat the shooting schedule from the 25 yard target. I decided to start with the SW's first because they shot the best @ 25 yards. Well, shot #1 had me grinning all over myself, but #2 brought me back to reality very quickly and #3 confirmed #1 was a fluke....

Next I decided to shoot the old standby 200 grain XTP's. Now that was more better. I could live with that @ 100.

Since I was feeling good I went to the Lehigh's next, again hoping that I was driving them fast enough. Shot #7 and #8 made me feel really good - I was really getting it now... #9 made the me crumble and humble, my only consulation was that I knew as soon as it went off of #9 was not going to be good. I also can not believe how big a very small error at the trigger gets 100 yards down range. Decided to take one more shot to save the group, but I was so ticked about #9 - you know what happend to #10 - I was even thinking about #9 when pulled on #10.

Frustrated with shooting paper - I got in the truck got 6 clay pigeons, walked down to the end of the rock pit and placed the pigeons on the rocks. The pigoens were all at about 100 yards but at different elevations on the rock wall. I can not believe I actually decided to shoot those expensive Lehigh's at the pigeons, but 6 shots - 6 birds - I was happy again - and they were all good hits - lots of breakage and chips....

6-745cal100yard.jpg

I really think that with a little more time and experiance this gun will be a sharp shooter. Still have not figued out why I need it - but I got it...

Thanks PJ.

Great report sabotloader. That's a very good looking gun for sure. I bet that some 195 gr Barnes with Harvester Light Blue sabots would tear a ragged hole.
Very good shooting and report.

Have you tried FFFg T7?

FWIW, My experience with FFFg T7, 200 gr SW, and the supplied light tan sabot in a 26" .45 Wolverine 209 using FPJ matches what I see on your target. My groups shrunk with the Harvester smooth light blue sabot and even more using BH209.

So when I started with a NIB .45 Elite, I went right to BH209. I have not used the FPJ breech plug yet. I have only shot about 25 bullets through the Elite so far but mine has done really well with 120 gr BH209, 200 gr SW, NFPJ and Winchester 209 shotshell primer.

flint head

I am a grinning - ear to ear...

The door bell rang a few minutes ago - Terry refused to sign for it - thank gosh I was home doing my chores - running the vac... I signed for it - unpacked set a scope on it weighed it - shouldered it... now trying to figure out how I can get out and shoot it... but I need to finish running the vac and do some digging for Terry in one of her flower gardens.

NEVER expected it to get here this soon, especially after the other one arrived only a few days ago...

Fantastic looking, feeling piece of equipment.

Cool deal buddy! I think you will like the results from 120g of BH and a 195 Barnes in a blue Harvester. :wink:

sabotloader said:
flint head

...but I need to finish running the vac and do some digging for Terry in one of her flower gardens.

I hope she isn't requesting a 6 foot hole in that flower garden? :shock: :lol:

Congratulations on Elite, they are one of the best feeling rifles I ever shot.

Latest posts

Back