Help getting mold from leather

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieTN

Reaction score
I know this is a Modern Muzzleloader forum but I also know that many of you dabble in the more traditional side as well. My father, many, many years ago made a lot of leather goods for the whole rendezvous scene including shooting bags and possible bags. Recently, while going through the estate of my uncle who passed I found a rough tub full of some of these bags my father had made. Unfortunately they had been stored in a basement so there is mold and mildew on them, fairly bad.

Is there any way to salvage them and to get rid of the mold. It is a white, sort of fuzzy mold and the leather smells very musty. In fact the bags feel damp to the touch. They have been stored for at least 20 years as my dad has been dead that long.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

The original cans of Ballistol claimed it could treat leather and kill mold. However when I compare the smell of the new stuff with my old cans it smells different so it may not help.

The mold or fungus is feeding off the nutrients in the leather. If this condition has been going on for a while it’s likely the leather is very weak and lost. Before getting into a lot of work or biocides grab some of the leather and see if it tears. If it does throw the stuff out. I had to throw a pair of nice boots away last year because of mold damage which rendered them so weak I could tear them apart.

Here’s two of the bags that were in the worst shape. And the after.

I hung them in my workshop with a fan blowing to dry them out as they were damp feeling when I got them. Then I brushed off the mold with a stiff brush. From there I scubbed them heavily with a mixture of 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar. I then hung them back in the shop (which stays fairly warm) with a fan blowing to dry them out. After they were dried I then gave them a heavy treatment with mink oil boot treatment.

This seems to have worked. There is very little staining from the mold and the leather does not feel compromised at all so it hadn’t gotten deep down into the leather. They still have a bit of a musty, or old smell, but that’s to be expected after being stored for over 20 years. I imagine it will dissipate with time. The one I kept for myself is displayed in the house where it gets fresh air.

I was just about in tears when I realized that I was going to be able to save them.

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1153.jpeg
    IMG_1153.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1145.jpeg
    IMG_1145.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1155.jpeg
    IMG_1155.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Yeah mate, we have mould bad here in North Queensland Australia during the wet season every year and I clean my saddlery gear with a soaked in vinegar rag every year then put in the sun and grease with a leather dressing. Good luck, hope that will help restore your Dad's bags.

I read about the vinegar on your post. Seems like it worked really well. I will have to try and remember that. Sometimes my boots get mold if i leave them in my camper during the summer.

Awesome cleanup. I was about to throw away a leather jacket that was moldy from being in a basement but now I might be able to rescue it. Thanks!!

ps - vinegar works great for getting rid of salt stains on leather shoes and boots---much cheaper than that commercial salt-stain stuff

Latest posts

Back