primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the welcome, Busta.
I am shooting 100 gr. BH209 powder and 300 gr. Scorpion PT Golds with the Harvester crushed Sabots. I tried this bullet with 110 gr. and got a tighter group when I dropped back to 100 gr. of powder.

Something that may just have been a fluke, but after shooting around 18 shots using the 100 gr. charge I shot a couple of Hornady High Speed Low Drag 250 gr. SST's and hit right in the group of 300 gr. Scorpions. I expected the Hornady shots to be an inch or two higher and was really surprised when they weren't.

I was shooting off a bench rest at 100 yds. with a Nikon Omega scope mounted on my Triumph.

VariFlame

I got the variflame primer adapter. At the range I got about 60% misfires.
I was using cci small rifle primers. I am not impressed. I thought it was my new Knight Vision that I purchased to replace 2 defective CVA Accura's,however I put in the 209 primers and did not have any problems.

I was shooting this morning and tried Fed209A's and Win209's with 100 grns of BH209 and a Hornady 250 grn FTX/.452 in a Harvester SB sabot. Both primers shot fine and did a good job, but the Win209's were consistently more accurate. The Fed's were OK, but the Win's would "clover leaf" three shots I could cover with a quarter. Guess I am shooting Win's.

paia said:
I was shooting this morning and tried Fed209A's and Win209's with 100 grns of BH209 and a Hornady 250 grn FTX/.452 in a Harvester SB sabot. Both primers shot fine and did a good job, but the Win209's were consistently more accurate. The Fed's were OK, but the Win's would "clover leaf" three shots I could cover with a quarter. Guess I am shooting Win's.

paia: What gun where you shooting ?

I know everyone says to use Fed209A or CCI209M for BH... but I have found the less powerful primers like Rem STS or W209 to be slightly more accurate... and cleaner.

rt_con said:
paia said:

paia: What gun where you shooting ?

I know everyone says to use Fed209A or CCI209M for BH... but I have found the less powerful primers like Rem STS or W209 to be slightly more accurate... and cleaner.

I was shooting an early (2002 or 2003) Omega. I have gone through 9 containers of BH209 with this rifle now and have used a bunch of different bullets and sabots and Win 209's and Fed 209A's. Winchester 209's have produced the best groups, but I have not found them to be cleaner than the Fed primers. IMO the Fed primers are just as "dirty" but the breech plug cleans up easier and "drills" easier with Fed primers. But for the accuracy I am going to shoot Winchester 209's. JMO

paia: I have an Omega since 2005, but until last fall have only used the .25 ACP conversion B/P with T7. Since last fall when I started using BH209, I switched back to the original T/C B/P and Fed209A's.

Just last month after I'm guessing only 300 shots with BH209, I started to encounter greatly increased primer fouling on the outside face of the B/P and even some scope burn :huh?: I replaced the B/P and started using Rem STS primers and no visible primer fouling and blowback.

Hard to believe B/P erosion is occuring after only 300 shots. My thinking is the hot Fed209A is causing this.. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

rt_con said:
paia: I have an Omega since 2005, but until last fall have only used the .25 ACP conversion B/P with T7. Since last fall when I started using BH209, I switched back to the original T/C B/P and Fed209A's.

Just last month after I'm guessing only 300 shots with BH209, I started to encounter greatly increased primer fouling on the outside face of the B/P and even some scope burn :huh?: I replaced the B/P and started using Rem STS primers and no visible primer fouling and blowback.

Hard to believe B/P erosion is occuring after only 300 shots. My thinking is the hot Fed209A is causing this.. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Funny you mention the scope "burn" with Fed 209A's. When I use them with my Omega and BH209, every once in a while I get a very "smoky" shot. Smoke comes out of the action around the breech face and the gun seems to make a different "crack" when it fires, though it is hard to tell when I am concentrating on the shot and wearing hearing protection etc. It is NOT a hangfire and the shot goes right in the group where it is supposed to. I don't know what it is...? But it does not happen with Win209's in my Omega.

I replace my breech plug after about every three to four hundred rounds. I have never noticed more blowback, but the flash hole does erode some and a new plug tightens my groups back up.

Have you seen the Omega action-tightening pics I took? That easy process has helped tighten up both my Omegas now and they lock up like new. It might help your rifle if you are around 1000 rds. through it or more.

This is an interesting thread, but I have 1000 Win209's now and must resist the urge to buy other primers and experiment! :roll:

kyboy41 said:
I tried Winchester 209 primers in my Triumph along with BH209 powder and had no firing problems. What I did encounter was difficulty closing the trigger unit to lock the rifle before shooting, and also having to pry the spent primer out of the breech plug after shooting. Apparently the Winchester primers are a little longer than the breech plug hole wants to accomodate.
I bought some CCI 209M primers and the trigger unit closed like it is suppose to without a great amount of pressure but still experienced the primers sticking in the breech plug and having to pry them out.
Has anyone else encountered this? If so, what primers have you found that works well BH209 powder and comes out of the breech without having to pry it out with a tool.
Thanks

Same issue with W209 (but no sticking). CCI's work fine (but no sticking). I use only BH209 in Encore Pro Hunter.

TC uses regular CCI's for in-house testing. I used them in my .45 Encore barrel with BH209, zero misfires and virtually blowback free.

I switched to Federal 209A to give more reliable ignition of BH209 in my Disc Elite. The WW209 were not working as well in colder weather. Both worked OK in my Encore.

richdeerht said:
I switched to Federal 209A to give more reliable ignition of BH209 in my Disc Elite. The WW209 were not working as well in colder weather. Both worked OK in my Encore.

What plug were you using in the Elite? I have not used the Win209 below about 28F but they have been 100% with the Lehigh conversion for the Knights. In colder weather the mag primers are probably a good idea though in extreme cold.

Im still a firm believer in a good primer fit in a well designed plug is the key. If there is no blowby, then that flame only has one place to go and most primers will be reliable. In a longer plug, you may need more heat in the cold for better reliability.

I don't care for mag primers unless they are needed. They leave more carbon in the plug and if you try T7 they leave a much harder crud ring. When i do use them in my Knights i use the Fed209A also. Only one of my guns likes the CCI209M.

:D :)

Fiocchi 616, 209 primers work really well for me :!: :!: A really good friend turned me on to them and I've been using them ever since. Never had a miss or a hang fire with them.
Have a great season everyone.............

Omega45 said:
TC uses regular CCI's for in-house testing. I used them in my .45 Encore barrel with BH209, zero misfires and virtually blowback free.

That's good to hear. That's what I bought when I finally gave up on the W209's.

guitarpicva said:
Omega45 said:

I snuck that question in when I called customer service once. The lady did say sometimes W209's are too long in the Encores but they worked in mine.

Omega45 said:
guitarpicva said:
Omega45 said:

I snuck that question in when I called customer service once. The lady did say sometimes W209's are too long in the Encores but they worked in mine.

I suppose one could have the primer end of the plug reamed out very slightly to accommodate the W209's. Hmmmm.

I'm using an unaltered CVA breech plug with BH 209. I use the CCI 209M primers for instant ignition.

I suppose one could have the primer end of the plug reamed out very slightly to accommodate the W209's. Hmmmm.

You sure can, i have at least one plug that is primer specific. Its plug was made for a CCI209M and in that gun they are perfect. Other primers may work but may have too much head space if you make it for a Win209. Its the longest 209 primer so....its a two edged sword.

Normally if i get a slight crush on a Win209, then a Fed209A and the WinT7s both work ok too.

In my Knight Disc extreme I use the Winchester tripple seven 209 primers. I have also used Winchester 209's with great accuracy. I always have some of the Winchester 209's on hand as that is what I also use for reloading shotshells. The cost of the Winchester tripple seven is no problem as I don't shoot that gun except when I go hunting. I shoot traditional rifles for everything else. I bought two boxes of the Winchester tripple seven 209's when the first came out. I still have a box and half left.

I was using winchester and cci in my sidekick and impact with bh209. I found i got a lot of carbon fouling and primers stuck in the plug bad. I went back to 777 primers and have had great ignition even in the coldest weather here in Northern New York, and tighter groups. No carbon fouling and the primers fall right out. Until they fail me, I will continue wth them. I was at the local gun shop and they had some cci muzzleloading primers. I was tempted to buy a pack and try them, but my groups with the 777 are good and reliable. More expensive yes, but i will stick with them.

Latest posts

Back