measuring amount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da new guy

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before but it has been a while since I have been on this forum. I am currently shooting T7 FFG at 110 gr. about how much would the equivalent be in Blockhorn. I am trying to get my rig set up with the least amount of problems. should I be shooting about 110 gr of BH also?

thanks in advance

measure

more info type gun, 209/cap, and the bullet/saboit combo and weights. More info on here better response.

The chronograph data that I have seen indicates that BH comes in at slightly faster velocities than loose 777. Not that big a difference though. If I were you , I would start lower, say 100 grains and do your own experimenting.

The big difference is what it takes to light the BH: a strong 209 primer, the right kind of breechplug (convex) and firm seating pressure.

I am sorry that I didn't give the specifics on what load combo and gun. I am shooting an Encore with the Barnes 285gr spitfire over 110 gr 777. I like the way this combo shoots and I really like the on game performance. I have the BH209 and I want to shoot it this year to see if it really is all that it is said to be. If the weather permits (its supposed to rain tomorrow) I want to get my rig set up for this year.

da new guy

i would start 90 or 100 grain BH209 and work up by 5 grain increments. get it shooting tight groups at 25 yards then 40,50 and move it out from there to 100. You can then see if it is opening up as you put more grains to the load. If it starts to open, back down 5 and shoot, you probably have your ultimate load for that bullet.

Latest posts

Back