White Model 98 Elite Hunter .358 Magnum!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
After the failure of turning my .45 cal Knight Disc Elite with the 1:30 twist into a .45/.358 Magnum, I thought I would give it a whirl in my .451 White M-98 Elite with the 1:20 twist.

It was real windy today, so I wasn't as concerned with the groups as I was getting the bullet to make round holes in the target. If anyone read my short report on trying to get the Knight to shoot the new Hornady 200 grain .358" FTX bullets, you will know what I am talking about. This picture may jog your memory?

026.jpg

As I said I just wanted to know if the 1:20 twist would stabilize these bullets, and the preliminary results look good. These bullets loaded very hard, much harder than the Knight did. I used the White with 777 FFFG powder (over 1 year old) and the #11 breech plug with RWS 1075 Plus caps. After shooting Blackhorn exclusively for the last year, I really have become spoiled. I sure didn't miss the swabbing after EVERY shot that 777 requires. I actually was so used to not having to swab, that after the first shot I loaded the powder and bullet without swabbing (not intentional), and it was all I could do to get the bullet within a quarter inch of the witness mark. I ended up wasting a bull with that shot, because I didn't want to shoot it into the first group that I had started, I'll point it out later. Now that I know this twist will stabilize the bullets, next time out will be with Blackhorn 209 and the 209 primer conversion.

Just so you know what bullet/sabot combination I was using I added a pic. The Hornady 200 grain .358" FTX and Precision Rifle orange .357" x .45 Sabots.

014.jpg

This is the overall target and first group, I started in the middle with 100 grains 777 FFFG (pink group), my second shot that I forgot to swab (serious crud ring) was actually shot down in the lower left bull just to see where it would hit. Shots 3 and 4 completed the group. Like I said I wasn't as concerned with the groups, as it was very windy with strong gusts, so I wasn't dissapointed with a 2" group, at least they were round holes and was something I could work with.

004.jpg

007.jpg

After seeing that I was actually going to get round holes, the second group lower right (blue) was shot with 125 grains 777 FFFG, it came in right around 1-3/4" and considering the wind I am happy with that.

008.jpg

Now knowing that it would stabilize at 100 and 125 grains, I decided to go down to 80 grains 777 FFFG, upper left group (orange), it came in at about 1-1/8", very happy with that.

006.jpg

The last group (yellow) in the upper right was a control group, 80 grains 777 FFFG and a .40 caliber bullet that shoots decent in the White, it came in at about 1-1/2", so considering the wind and the old powder, I think I have room to work with these .358" bullets in this rifle.

I also ran one through my little torture test, it did very well IMO. It did much better than the 300 grain .430" HP/XTP did that is for sure. I wouldn't have a problem shooting anything in NA with it, that is for sure.

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

I think the perfect rifle to shoot these bullets just might be the White .410 caliber with its 1:16 twist, the only problem is nobody makes a sabot that could be used.

So, now all we need to do is get Knight and T/C to realize that there last big .45 caliber explosion that started with the 1:20 twist would have been just about perfect for this bullet. It really is to bad that there still were not some of those barrels with the 209 ignition still around. Everyone was trying to push short and light pistol bullets at break neck speeds out of them and it didn't work. They would have shot long conicals very well, or in this case long sub-caliber bullets at magnum velocities. I sure wish I could find some of the Knight Disc 1:20 barrels, with 209 ignition and Blackhorn 209 powder, this would be the new magnum long range combination.

I didn't run any over the chrono, but will make it a point when I get out and shoot them with Blackhorn 209. The only problem with this White is the plunger action, non-sealed breech, and non-recommended breech plug, but the twist is right. ;) After starting to shoot, I wish I would have just started with the 209 conversion and used Blackhorn 209 powder. Half of my time was swabbing out that nasty crud ring, I could have shot at least twice as much, maybe three times as much with Blackhorn 209, and the bullets probably would have loaded easier too. Live and learn!

Batchief909 said:
Shoot some real bullets out of that gun like it was meant for... :lol: :lol:

I have, but that gets boring when they all go in the same hole everytime! :lol:

Nimm and I had that EXACT same conversation last week. 8) :wink:

"Wanna go shooting?? Sure. Whatcha gonna bring?? One of the 91s. Okay,,,,I'll bring one of mine". We end up wasting lead,,,,,but have a good time doing it..... :wink: :lol:

I shot my .451 model 97 yesterday. With the warm weather I could get back to 97 yards. I was sighted in much less then that. But while the group was low and a little to the left, I put four of the 460 BullShop into a one inch group. Then I changed powders to see what would happen and it threw them all over the place. My 97 like Pyrdoex P or Swiss 3f and it don't want much of else.

I had not touched that rifle since deer season. Them Whites are kind of boring but they sure are an ego booster.. :D

I gotta stay off this forum, every time I get my loads worked up somebody comes along and shows me something I just gotta try. I'm starting to think I should just sell all my muzzleloaders except for my White and spend the rest of my days trying to get the "perfect" load worked up...

Then again, maybe I need a Disc Elite .45, never owned a Knight before, hmmm....

Back