How many shots of BlackHorn 209 before a patch?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flati

Reaction score
Do you guys run a patch after shooting so many shots of BlackHorn 209? It seems I may have been starting to loose alittle accuracy after 8 or 10 shots in a row, should I have run a cleaning/solvent patch after so many shots or do you guys just shoot straight through the day without ever running a patch?

No.....just keep shooting and clean after you shoot. I have tried that, cleaning or swabbing between shots or after a number of shots and I lose accuracy doing so. I'm getting some of my best groups / accuracy after 7-8 shots....seems like they want to fall right thru the same hole. I'm shooting 120grs. and there is some punch to the load...focus, focus, focus.....pretend every shot is a that 180" WT

To me it seems the first thing that affects accuracy and reliability with BH209 is the carbon that builds in the hole below the primer in the breech plug. When i am shooting, by and by, the rifles start having more blow back than normal. Then it is time to drill out the carbon. In my Omega i use an 1/8" drill, and in my Accura i use a 7/64" drill. I guess i only clean the barrel if i know i won't be shooting any time soon. Some few have had problems with their barrel rusting; i believe this is because they used a traditional black powder solvent to clean their barrel. I believe one shouldn't use traditional water based black powder cleaners or lubes with BH209. I believe using only oily products intended for center fire rifles will be best when using BH209. I never swab at the range. Usually i never clean my rifles during hunting season. When season ends they get a good cleaning and they stay clean until i get the urge to shoot paper, which seems to happen relatively soon. Then when the weather turns hot, i quit shooting paper, and give the rifles a good cleaning. When the weather cools it is time to get ready for hunting season again.

ronlaughlin said:
To me it seems the first thing that affects accuracy and reliability with BH209 is the carbon that builds in the hole below the primer in the breech plug. When i am shooting, by and by, the rifles start having more blow back than normal. Then it is time to drill out the carbon. In my Omega i use an 1/8" drill, and in my Accura i use a 7/64" drill. I guess i only clean the barrel if i know i won't be shooting any time soon. Some few have had problems with their barrel rusting; i believe this is because they used a traditional black powder solvent to clean their barrel. I believe one shouldn't use traditional water based black powder cleaners or lubes with BH209. I believe using only oily products intended for center fire rifles will be best when using BH209. I never swab at the range. Usually i never clean my rifles during hunting season. When season ends they get a good cleaning and they stay clean until i get the urge to shoot paper, which seems to happen relatively soon. Then when the weather turns hot, i quit shooting paper, and give the rifles a good cleaning. When the weather cools it is time to get ready for hunting season again.
I agree.
Also Ron since I drilled out an old breach plug with a # 21 drill and tapped the ends and installed a Lehigh vent liner the old plug is salvaged and the carbon problem is much reduced. When I drilled out the breach plug I went all the way through on Sabotloaders suggestion that it would help keep the carbon down. Some thing sure does I have drilled out and put in vent liners BP for the Omega the Triumph and the Endeavor now and they all work great and they all reduced the carbon by about 70 percent. Lee

Latest posts

Back