H&R Sidekick and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rangeball

Reaction score
This rifle has been discontinued, but there are still some out there to be had, pretty cheaply.

The rifle seems to be well thought of, and usually get's good reviews.

What kind of velocities and grouping would you expect from it with BH 209 and 250-300 grain bullets (assuming due diligence was performed to find the right bullet/sabot fit for the barrel)?

I don't currently own a ML. I'm really on the fence whether or not to go this route or a savage 10ml smokeless. 3-4" groups at 200 yards with a flat trajectory is the goal, which I know the savage will do, but at a much higher cost. Do you think this sidekick combo can do it?

Thanks in advance :)

Good rifles but you might want to check out Busta's posting on the primer carrier ignition and BH209. Might change your plans.

Thanks.

The sidekick has a 26" barrel versus Busta's 24" huntsman, I wonder what difference that spec alone would make.

I had also thought someone made a replacement 209 breech plug for this gun, but apparently not. I do however have access to a metal lathe and a couple machinists, just don't know if I want to invest the time and funds with no guarantee of the outcome. I also am not interested in non-smokeless in-line ML if BH won't work. Call me lazy, I just don't want to deal the constant cleaning issues.

First, I would definately say the SS Sidekick I had is the one that I wish I never sold. Shot everything I put in it rather well and just felt good in the hand. I don't know if I could have done better than 4" at 200 yards with it, but it did shoot sub 2.5" groups at 125 yards (max on our range).

I don't know about ignition issues with the primer carriers and BH209, though.

As far as the flat trajectory, I bet you could get +/- 3 inches out to 175 yards with the right loads. About 100 gr of t7 3f or BH209 and a 250 gr bullet would do it at about 1850-1900 fps or so.

With the right load, I could shoot my Omega at 200 yards and get sub 4" groups. With the wind right, I might even break 3".

And I shudder to think of all the money I spent trying to get groups that good with my slug gun at 100 yards before I gave up and decided to just use the muzzleloader. I could have bought several muzzleloaders.

Of course if you want fast, look at the posts on shooting the Knight .45 Disc rifles with 120 gr of BH209. Getting over 2300 fps with a 200 gr SST. +/- about 2" to 200 yards and some sub 2" groups. You can pick up those in SS for under $300. Also look at the Triumph with BH209. Many amazing 200 yard groups on here.

vabowhntr said:
First, I would definately say the SS Sidekick I had is the one that I wish I never sold. Shot everything I put in it rather well and just felt good in the hand. I don't know if I could have done better than 4" at 200 yards with it, but it did shoot sub 2.5" groups at 125 yards (max on our range).

I don't know about ignition issues with the primer carriers and BH209, though.

As far as the flat trajectory, I bet you could get +/- 3 inches out to 175 yards with the right loads. About 100 gr of t7 3f or BH209 and a 250 gr bullet would do it at about 1850-1900 fps or so. With the right load, I could shoot my Omega at 200 yards and get sub 4" groups. With the wind right, I might even break 3".

Thanks a bunch. Sounds encouring, and about what I was expecting velocity wise.

And I shudder to think of all the money I spent trying to get groups that good with my slug gun at 100 yards before I gave up and decided to just use the muzzleloader. I could have bought several muzzleloaders.

I hear ya, and think we've had this discussion elsewhere :) If I could find a saboted slug load that lived up to the hype, I'd be set, but unfortunately I don't believe they exist.... yet? I'm tired of waiting :)

Of course if you want fast, look at the posts on shooting the Knight .45 Disc rifles with 120 gr of BH209. Getting over 2300 fps with a 200 gr SST. +/- about 2" to 200 yards and some sub 2" groups. You can pick up those in SS for under $300. Also look at the Triumph with BH209. Many amazing 200 yard groups on here.

Thanks, I'll look around for these posts. Is anyone shooting the .45 knight sabotless? That would be ideal, I think, but you sure can't argue with those results.

Under $300 for the SS knight, where?

One just sold on Huntingnet for $200 and I have seen a few on here for under $300 in the past year or so. Graybeardoutdoors has some in their classifieds every now and then. There were a few walnut stocked ones going for $199 on gunbroker. Right now I don't know of any, but I will keep my eyes out.

And yes, I think we have had that discussion before. While I will keep my slug gun (in a smoothbore configuration) for the pines where I can't shoot much more than 50 yards, I am going to go with the muzzleloader for the foodplots and open woods. I just can't afford to keep up with slug technology.

Latest posts

Back