Guess cartridge.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
22 LR
.17 HMR
.44 Mag ______________ X :nono:
.222 Rem
.223 Rem
6.5x55 Swede
.280 Rem
.30-30 Win
.300 Wby Mag
8x57 JS Mauser______________ X :nono:
.35 Whelan
.376 Steyer_______________ X :nono:

Pretty darn good Mountain Man :applause:

Little hint - Check the Hog Hunting thread. :)
Another hint - Jimmy looooves 35cal. :p

Okay, I'll try some second guesses, here, but I'll explain my thinking, since I doubt I'm hitting them.

#3: .41 Magnum (I saw in the hog thread that you were carrying one of these. Shoul have listened to JJ. :lol: )

#10: .358 Winchester (My first impression with this one before was that it was a .308 necked up to .338. If the suggestion is that those last three are .35's, then I gotta go with the .358 Winchester.)

#12: .35-300 Winchester Magnum. (To be honest, I can't tell for certain if that is a belt there or not. I think so, and the sholder angle and case length look to me like the .300 Win Mag necked up to .35. My third guess would be .358 Norma Mag--but the shoulder looks too high in comparison to the .35 Whelen to be the Norma, whereas the .35-300 shoulder is a bit higher than the shoulder of the .35 Whelen.)

So, am I any closer now?

O.K. While these are not "cartridges" per se, they still go boom! I have a few duplicate gauges, I thought you'd like the unique ones.

Can anybody tell me how old the brass is? Take a close look at the primer.

Metallic will follow tomorrow.

DSC00632.jpg

DSC00633.jpg

Blue-Dot-37.5

That's only a small sample. I've got almost 4 cigar boxes full of various shotgun shells that my grandfather left behind when he passed away in '67.

No takers? :oops:

Blue-Dot-37.5

Here's some metallic cartridges. Some have been seen before, most not. I did try and throw 2 ringers in there, lets see if Chuck can catch them. :lol:

DSC00637.jpg

Here's a slightly different view.

DSC00638.jpg

I wish I had all the rifles! (and handguns)

Blue-Dot-37.5

1 down, 21 to go!

Dang, these must be harder than it looks! 8)

Either chuck is hiding in the bushes, or he's biding his time 'till he has them nailed. But, I bet he can't get 'em all!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Looks pretty hard Scott but I'll give it a go....Don't LAUGH! :lol:

.22LR, .32 S&W, .25ACP, .38 S&W, .30 WCF, 7mmRemMAg, 7.62X39, 7.62X54R, .257 Weatherby, .480 Ruger, 30-06, .45ACP, ??, .50BMG... Those were HARD...the weird bullets didn't help! :oops:

Well Chuck, you did pretty good! I'll let you revise the ones that are wrong, and let anybody else take an educated guess. You'll might be surprised at the correct answers......... 8)

.22lr (Aguila 60 gr. SniperSubSonic)

.32 S&W (my grandfathers' back-up gun. He was a Chicago Policeman from 1921 'till the early 50's. I have the pistol, it was found in my grandmother's dresser when she died. It was still loaded 30 years after my grandfather passed away - the lead bullets were white!)

25 acp

.38 S&W (My grandfathers carry police pistol - I have this one as
well as the one that was presented to him when he retired)

30-30

__________ :nono:

7.62 x 39

__________ :nono:

.257 Wby Mag

.480 Ruger

30-06 (I found this round - I have NO idea what bullet it is!)

.45 ACP

_____ :think: ______ :nono:

.50 BMG

Any guesses on the shotgun shells?

Blue-Dot-37.5

.240 Wthby Mag

.303 British

.300 Win Short Mag

beats me!!

Do any of 'em require a ramrod?

weel, i know that the one still-unguessed rimmed cartridge is either a .303 british or a 7.62x54R. im thinkin 7.62x54R? :think:

O.K. You guys tried hard enough. The first one that Chuck missed was the ringer that I threw in there. Here's the story: I happened upon 6 boxes of .257 Wby Mag ammo at a gun show, and I pried them away from the seller for $5.00/box. Now most of the boxes were full, and loaded, with a couple of boxes still looking like factory ammo. These boxes were OLD. These cartridges resided in one box that was only half full. The base says ".257 Weatherby Speer". I did some searching, and contacted the Weatherby collectors society. The reply that I got back was that they are indeed factory .257 Wby Mag rounds, made by Speer for Roy Weatherby during the first year or so of the cartridge's life. Speer had a qualilty control problem, and Roy switched suppliers. What you see is their quality control problem - they couldn't keep the unique Weatherby rounded shoulder on every run.

The 2nd rimmed cartridge base says "Super-X 30 U.S. A." 30-40 Krag?

The last one (next to the BMG) came from a Green Remington Hi-Speed box that is marked 8mm Mauser (7.9 mm). :wink:

Blue-Dot-37.5

What you see is their quality control problem - they couldn't keep the unique Weatherby rounded shoulder on every run.

VERY interesting! I knew that things neck was too long for any other belted magnum EXCEPT a Weatherby but of course no radius shoulders..so I took a stab....

Very GOOD SCOTT! Who's NEXT? Still LOTS of cartridges out there!

Interesting selection Blue-Dot. That WAS hard. I missed this, and I would probably guess only 2 or 3.

Back