Traditions 50 cal. Deerhunter kit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midget_man

Reaction score
I was surfing arond the web, and I came across Traditions website. I noticed that they have these kits which help you build your own sidelock muzzleloader. Here's the link:

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop ... e+Locks%29

I thought that it would be really amazing and interesting to shoot a muzzleloader that you built yourself. Has anyone had experience with any of Tradition's kits? Are the guns pretty reliable? Are the kits good deals, or just a waste of money? Any info on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Had one back in 1995. It had two barrels, a 50cal and 32cal. It was blued and wood. I put it together and it was a nice brush gun. They put out some nice rifles and kits back then. I can't say anything about them now. They aren't magnum rifles, keep the power levels in a safe range.

Jerry

Many of these kits require very basic to some what good wood working skills. The stocks are all pre-drilled and formed. You might have a little sanding to make the lock fit tight, and smooth, or you might have to do some shaping here and there, but over all they are not too hard. My friend built a Kentucky rifle, and it took him a few days is all. It turned out very good, and that thing is a shooter!!!

I built two Thompson Center kits in my life. Both of them turned out very good, and I am not the worlds greatest finishing carpenter by any means. When you see a kit, they will often call it ... in the White. This means the barrels are not cured, being blued or browned. And while the parts fit, there is a little work to be done. The real important things like the wedge pin hole and ramrod channel are cut.

Then you can get into some kits that you basically do all the work. And the end results is determined by how good a wood worker you are.

Traditions makes a good rifle. I own three or four of their traditional rifles. All of them are good shooters. But.. none of them were kits. I can only relate the experience of watching my friend build his Kentucky rifle.

Back