First Smoke Pole

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegunner

Reaction score
I have thought about purchasing a muzzleloader for some time but have never found one that I liked the way it looked or how it felt. Recently however I picked up a "Lyman Mustang Breakaway" and that all changed.
It looked good and it felt great, so good that I bought one.

Now I know that just because I bought a mussleloader doesn't mean that I know anything about them. I have loaded for my high powers and for my shotguns so understand the importance of safety. I also can figure things out through reading and study, but have found out many years ago that there is much to learn from those who have gathered their experiences before you. So any advise would be appreciated!!!

Haven't had a chance to shoot her yet as Minnesota has been throwing some rough weather at us these last few days, but should be able to get to the range before a planned Texas Hog hunt at the end of January.

It interesting that I originally purchased 250gr power belt sabots and triple seven pellets and before I've even shot her I purchased Barnes 250gr Spit-Fire TMZ Sabots and Blackhorn 209 powder to work up my primary hunting load.

I would like to hear from anyone shooting a Mustang and anyone using Barnes bullets or Blackhorn 209 powder.

I dont own the gun that you purchased but i do shoot blackhorn powder. I love the powder no more swabing between shots or worries about corrosion. I would say buy many bullet and sabot combos just to see what the gun likes best, besides its fun spending money on your new toy , good luck

Semisane owns one.. he might be able to help you out.

E-mail into Lyman asking about?

I sent an e-mail to Lyman today to asking about using Blackhorn 209 in my Mustang, when I hear from them I will post the results of my question.

Back