Harvestor Sabot help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cordwood

It really depends on what rifle you are shooting for choice of sabot...

For myself I shoot a lot of different sized bullets but while hunting big game I am either shooting a .452 or .458....

Bullet BC's are a consideration but at ML speeds and ML ranges (ranges of the normal hunter) BC is not my first consideration.

Im shooting an encore. From what ive read, the sabots that come with the shockwaves arent that good. Id like to try a better sabot but Ive read all over the package and the diameter isnt listed. It just says:

.50 cal
250 gr.
spire point

Shockwaves from my understanding are .452 diameter. If the regular shockwaves loaded hard, then go go a crushed rib. If they loaded easy, then stick with a short black harvester sabot.

The short black harvesters shoot good in my encore with shockwaves or sst's. I bought some at Cabelas before, heres the UPC-000000743491050450 this other number looks like the stock # 020011409, hope that helps.

Cordwood,

I hope you try the SWs with the supplied sabots for accuracy first before you start throwing them away. Remember that each gun is an individual and yours may shoot better with the supplied sabots.
Good luck and have fun.

jascoesens said:
Cordwood,

I hope you try the SWs with the supplied sabots for accuracy first before you start throwing them away. Remember that each gun is an individual and yours may shoot better with the supplied sabots.
Good luck and have fun.

I agree with this. I dont see a huge difference between my regular TC sabots and my harvester short smooth sabots...but since I bought 100 of the harvester thats all I am shooting now. when I run out I will do some extensive shooting with the TC sabots to verify if there is much accuracy diff

+2 on the suggestion to try the TC Sabots first to compare their accuracy against the almighty short black Harvesters... :wink:

I found in my Triumph that I got just as good accuracy with the TC supplied sabots as I did with the short black harvesters...and much better accuracy than the crushed rib or MMP sabots! :shock:

So, it's a no-brainer for me...I will use the TC sabots and save some coin on the aftermarket sabots! :D

Give it a try yourself, you might be pleasantly surprised!

the diameter with the bullet loaded is gonna be same with the supplied sabot and short black harvesters, both .503-.504. The one thing i have noticed is the supplied sabots have a little longer petals, i think i was damaging them loading them sometimes, compared to the shorter harvester. i would shoot good groups, and then have a crazy flier. i havent been able to confirm, because there are a million sabots in front of the shooting benches at the range. But i have not had this problem with the short black harvesters, this is just my .02 cents

The supplied sabots with the Shockwaves are MMP HPH-24 unless you order the Super Glides - then they are MMP HPH-3p-Ez loads.

The Harvester short black is very close to the same diameter as the HPH-24. In my case I find it, the short black, to be just slightly thicker.

The 'crush rid' is slightly thinner than either HPH-24 or the Regular Harvester... I would not use it unless either of these other two would not go down the barrel. If the 'crush rib' is too easy it will loose pressure...

SabotDia.jpg

they are cheap. try them both and see what is best out of your gun.

Latest posts

Back