GRRW COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION - J&S HAWKEN GRRW-CA #H03

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
SUBJECT: GRRW COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION - J&S HAWKEN GRRW-CA <a href='/tags/H03' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #H03'>#H03</a>

Here's my J&S Hawken just finished by GRRW-CA custom smith Carl Walker. This is copied from an original J&S Hawken (percussion gun) as there have only two been found to have been flintlocks - guns both converted to percussion. 

This rifle is a .50 caliber just like the one seen at the Natural History Museum in Denver back in the mid 80's. I had never forgot that rifle and decided to have a copy made.

h03%201.jpg
H03.Carl%20Walker.7_1.gif
H03.Carl%20Walker.gif
H03.Carl%20Walker.6_1.gif
H03.Carl%20Walker.5_1.gif
H03.Carl%20Walker.2_1.gif
H03%20JS%20Hawken_1.jpg

Great looking rifle!  I love the looks of a full stock rifle.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm usually not a big fan of full stocks but this gun is absolutely beautiful!

:D

It is beautiful, Buck.

I love this. I knew you were supporting/leading the effort, Conner. I did not know you were getting one for yourself, too! That is great. I am in honored company!

Mine is coming. No less than Carl Walker is finishing it up. He just began work. It is on the bench just now. But, we have been photographing and talking about it for about a year. Yes, we will share the journey when complete. It has been so much fun! 

The rifle kit from the 1970's has inspired those who encountered it here in Florida today, before we sent it back to its birthplace in Utah.

Hattie%202_zps9zkh2ahp.jpg

Ms. Hattie unpacked the original box when we photographed it at The Armories gun shop in Oviedo, Florida. She is younger than the rifle. Herb poured over the original paper work and blue prints from GRRW. He is not younger than the rifle. ;)

Hattie%20XI_zpsv2l7b8pa.jpg

SO much fun and history.

Kentucky Colonel said:
:D

It is beautiful, Buck.

I love this. I knew you were supporting/leading the effort, Conner. I did not know you were getting one for yourself, too! That is great. I am in honored company!
Not just one KC.

I have to stand in line like everyone else, so my personal guns will take a while to get.

The gentleman that got the beautiful Bridger Hawken GRRW.CA <a href='/tags/H01' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #H01'>#H01</a> that was seen in Muzzleloader magazine last fall is a great guy.

I had Carl Walker build a Leman Trade Rifle (1st gun produced by new firm) <a href='/tags/L01' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #L01'>#L01</a> CA. Another smith that's getting his old skills back in order built another Leman Trade Rifle <a href='/tags/L02' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #L02'>#L02</a> CA. It had a few minor problems that i didn't like. This was to go to the gentleman first mentioned (with issues I couldn't sell the gun). So I sold the <a href='/tags/L01' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #L01'>#L01</a> Ca gun to him, now he has two serial number one rifles for GRRW CA. * Later Carl corrected the minor issues which made this gun look as I had expected originally.

Now I'm sitting with a number <a href='/tags/02' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #02'>#02</a> gun, gave it a little thought and ordered a NW Trade Gun (first one of them built) <a href='/tags/NW01' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #NW01'>#NW01</a> CA. Then came J&S Hawken <a href='/tags/H03' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #H03'>#H03</a> CA and next is a Trapper Pistol <a href='/tags/TP04' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #TP04'>#TP04</a> late this year or first of next year (waiting in line like everyone else), then what's next (probably the rifle that never got built at GRRW). That's the one Doc White wanted to build, an 1838 Leman fullstock flintlock Trade Rifle with a steel to brass barrel. I own an original 1838 Leman like the one mentioned but with steel only barrel that we will use to guide Doc when needed.

So KC I will have 4-5 GRRW CA guns <a href='/tags/01' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #01'>#01</a> CA-# 04 CA or <a href='/tags/05' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #05'>#05</a> CA and the gentleman with <a href='/tags/H01' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #H01'>#H01</a> CA and <a href='/tags/L02' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #L02'>#L02</a> CA has a Chief Grade Trade gun being built <a href='/tags/CG01' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #CG01'>#CG01</a> CA and he's thinking about a Poor Boy (possible a number <a href='/tags/PB01' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #PB01'>#PB01</a> CA).  Fun stuff guys....

Latest posts

Back