GRRW.CA - Our newest rifle - a Leman Squirrel Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Subject: GRRW.CA - Our newest rifle - a Leman Squirrel Rifle.

grrw.ca.leman.squirrel.rifle.jpg

After seeing these photos, which you so graciously posted, I'm glad I'm on the list.  Thanks Buck.

Some folks are asking if this can be built in a smaller caliber such as a .32 or .36cal? Also, would a flintlock version be correct for this style of muzzleloader?

Lowlands said:
After seeing these photos, which you so graciously posted, I'm glad I'm on the list.  Thanks Buck.
Me, too. I'm looking forward to see what Carl Walker whips up. Any word on whether he is getting any 'work-in-progress' shots? (Hope, hope!) I would call again myself, but don't wish to 'jog the elbow.' I want him to have space and all the time he wants.

Here is Ms. Hattie opening the box with the intact GRRW kit from the 1970's and later with the parts laid out. 
I really don't need to be in photos with beautiful things. :lol:

Hattie%201_zpsk0i50nrz.jpg

Hattie%203_zpsrszfhs2u.jpg

Very nice ! So ? whats the story on the old rifle in box ?Or did I miss it else where ?
Ive still got  my Lehman GRRW rifle from 1970s? (75 to 78 cant recall at moment) in semi finished condition, .54 cal (really seems to like a .526 ball !) Glad GRRW is still going !

FrontierGander said:
Some folks are asking if this can be built in a smaller caliber such as a .32 or .36cal? Also, would a flintlock version be correct for this style of muzzleloader?
GRRW CA can build this rifle in any caliber for the Leman Squirrel Rifle like what was available with the originals. From .45 to .32 caliber, these were percussion guns only being built during the 1850's and on period until the end of their run when cartridge guns became available.

And here I thought I was doing good to have the builder of my original GRRW Hawken (Ron Paull) build a Leman Squirrel Rifle through GRRW CA! :p

Back to the original topic "GRRW.CA - Our newest rifle - a Leman Squirrel Rifle".

Here's more pictures of the finished product from Ron Paull.

Fine1.jpg

Fine2.jpg

Fine3.jpg

Fine4.jpg

I just met up with Ron (and Jean of course!), and I'm proud to say that I now have the gem in my hot little hands...er....big chunky hands.

Three words spell it out.  Mmmm....mmmm....mmmm. 

I'm familiar with Ron's great work and he surpassed even that with this one.  It's subtle, but I can almost pick one of Ron's creations out of a stack of rifles. He has an eye for proportion and "flow" that few others can match, in my view.  It kinda "sets the stage" for the remainder of his work on a rifle. 

In ordering the Squirrel Rifle, I needed a little extra LOP for my gangley frame, so he added just enough extra barrel length to match.  The 45 caliber barrel is only 7/8", so he used that and the lock dimensions as references for the other dimensions. It goes on from there. The engraving is pure Leman from his actual examples, and the screws are all correctly oriented fore and aft. 

It's as much a hunting gun as a drooling gun, so the center of balance is right under the rear sight for comfortable carry. The sights are low like the originals, but amazingly clear even for my old eyes.  Best of all for serious shooting is his "trade secret" trigger work. It's crisp with no over-travel or take-up and breaks under 5#.  And the metal finish?  He still uses the old original GRRW browning formula.  It's rich and buttery smooth.  The stock finish is breathtaking, too.

Yeah, I'm still grinning.  It will take a few more days for my order of 45 caliber components to arrive on this rock in the middle of the Gulf of Alaska, but once they're here (and the wind and rain pass), I'll post a shooting report. 

GRRW lives on in the remarkable work of Ron Paull.  Boy, does it ever! :bow:

Thank you Hank for the update on your beautiful new toy, Ron as usual has out done himself again.

I absolutely love the engraving. That is a nice looking gem of a rifle there, Brownbear. Congrats! 
Can't wait for the report and sorry for hijacking the thread. You have a real beauty there!

BrownBear said:
I'm familiar with Ron's great work and he surpassed even that with this one. ....

The engraving is pure Leman from his actual examples, and the screws are all correctly oriented fore and aft. 

The stock finish is breathtaking, too.

GRRW lives on in the remarkable work of Ron Paull.  Boy, does it ever! :bow:
GRRW.CA is still using the old finishes done 40 years ago. All four of these old gunsmith's haven't lost their skills. Personally I think they have improved when compared to what was built years ago. That's because its for fun now and not just a job like then.

Only Doc White and Ron are engravers like seen here, I really like the H. E. Leman work copied from the originals. Nice rifle.

Wait until you folks see what's coming up with new builds, now in the finishing stages.  :cheers:

Latest posts

Back