GRRW.CA - 1ST BARNETT NW TRADE GUN [#NW01 HG] ( SOLD).

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
We had requests for this gun that the old firm had only built a few of, I owned the one that Blue Jacket Sanders and Greg Roberts built.

Another one that I should have kept like several dozen others. So much for planning.......

This is a first, listed less than 4 hours on this site and now the first GRRW.CA Barnett NW Trade Gun has been ordered. Serial number [ #NW01 CA ] scheduled to be built by Doc White later in the year. Doc has several Bridger Hawken's on his bench at this time, once done the trade gun is next up.

I now have two guys wanting serial number [#NW01 CA ], who gets their parts first gets their wish.

Both of these gentlemen realize that this project [GRRW.CA] has gunsmiths near 70 to 80 years in age (still have the skills) but how long will they build firearms? If they could build like in the days of GRRW, they produced over 5,500 guns in approximately 10 years.

Now today with these gunsmiths ages and possibly building for 5 years what will the number be - 20 guns a piece times 4 = 80 guns if that?

Saying that and giving this some thought, these guns will increase more than the original ones from 3-4 decades ago being really limited in numbers.

You guys have created a real legacy.......what an honor to be a very small part of it. Almost makes me wish I had bought a "factory" gun rather than a kit......or at very least, that I still had my T.R.
But I was a "starving pilgrim" back in those days and building an Indian Rifle kit was much cheaper than a factory gun.......about that same time my buddies were purchasing rifles from a company in Farmingdale NY called "Shiloh Sharps". They were putting down $350 dollars for new <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a> sporters in 45-120. I couldn't possibly pay that much, so I bought a Navy Arms "Remington" rolling block in 45-70 for $160 from Navy Arms..............and then several years later bought my Business rifle form Shiloh in Big Timber for $625......money and timing...blessing and curse! :roll:

"gunsmiths near 70 to 80 years in age" 

Yeah, I have thought about that. It will be a true loss when they leave us. 

Were you able to see those pics I sent you, Buck? Are they adequate?

lighthorseman said:
You guys have created a real legacy.......what an honor to be a very small part of it. Almost makes me wish I had bought a "factory" gun rather than a kit......or at very least, that I still had my T.R.
But I was a "starving pilgrim" back in those days and building an Indian Rifle kit was much cheaper than a factory gun.......about that same time my buddies were purchasing rifles from a company in Farmingdale NY called "Shiloh Sharps". They were putting down $350 dollars for new <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a> sporters in 45-120. I couldn't possibly pay that much, so I bought a Navy Arms "Remington" rolling block in 45-70 for $160 from Navy Arms..............and then several years later bought my Business rifle form Shiloh in Big Timber for $625......money and timing...blessing and curse! :roll:

I was a dealer when Shiloh was in New York back in the 70's then in Big Timber MT. We moved many Shiloh's, then after the breakup here comes John with C. Sharps Arms- his 1875 didn't sell like the Shiloh's.

Between the two companies guns, same caliber, a round loaded for a Shiloh chamber was slightly long for a C. Sharps chamber. Found this on several firearms when loading ammo, C. Sharps customers would complain about this, then when seating bullets for those guns we would get a few complaints about length of cartridge for the Shiloh. Finally stopped loading that ammo.

I personally have owned as many as (10) Shiloh's at one time, now don't have one, but a friend has all of mind and several of his own. $$$$$$$

Kentucky Colonel said:
"gunsmiths near 70 to 80 years in age" 

Yeah, I have thought about that. It will be a true loss when they leave us. 

Were you able to see those pics I sent you, Buck? Are they adequate?
Yes I have the pictures, thanks.

I actually had ordered a "75" in a 38-55...but when I heard through rumor mill, that they were splitting the sheets I panicked and cancelled the order.....My Business rifle was a blessing after loosing much of my physical ability......not able to sneak around like I had with my Leman or a bow. Now...even with new surgeries...like a lunatic, I'm imagining "taking trophies" with a flintlock smooth rifle........ :slaps:

lighthorseman said:
I actually had ordered a "75" in a 38-55...but when I heard through rumor mill, that they were splitting the sheets I panicked and cancelled the order.....My Business rifle was a blessing after loosing much of my physical ability......not able to sneak around like I had with my Leman or a bow. Now...even with new surgeries...like a lunatic, I'm imagining "taking trophies" with a flintlock smooth rifle........ :slaps:

The best Shiloh caliber I had and I have had many, was a 40/70 2-1/10 uses 45/70 cases bottled neck. Shot a .400 grain bullet on everything from white tail to moose, used on several buffalo hunts without any problems, cheap to shoot and recoiled like a .308.

I was a latecomer to reloading, so I bought a couple hundred rounds of 45-70 one box at a time....but then they were only $8 a box back when I started shooting cartridge guns and never paid more than $15...with all that brass, I decided I should grow up......so still not perfectly proficient at it...I do reload all my 45-70 brass, but only experiment with different bullets......sorta like chicken fried steak....once I find a place that makes good CFS....I don't gamble with other restaurants.........my wife says I'm a "big girl's blouse". :Questuon:  I have only recently branched out into a 45-60 Winchester.............and when these inline shooters start talking about various loads like they were reloading 22-250 :shooter: .......I sorta go cross eyed.

There I said it.....I feel so clean :lol: ......I admire you guys who experiment with various loads  :Red tup: .........but for me beyond 110gr ffg a .562 rb and pillow ticking patch.....or 32 gr of IMR 4198 and a 405 gr cast bullet I get all scary :affraid: ................so I cowardly stick with the chicken fried steak I know. :thumbs up:

lighthorseman said:
I was a latecomer to reloading, so I bought a couple hundred rounds of 45-70 one box at a time....but then they were only $8 a box back when I started shooting cartridge guns and never paid more than $15...with all that brass, I decided I should grow up......so still not perfectly proficient at it...I do reload all my 45-70 brass, but only experiment with different bullets......sorta like chicken fried steak....once I find a place that makes good CFS....I don't gamble with other restaurants.........my wife says I'm a "big girl's blouse". :Questuon:  I have only recently branched out into a 45-60 Winchester.............and when these inline shooters start talking about various loads like they were reloading 22-250 :shooter: .......I sorta go cross eyed.

There I said it.....I feel so clean :lol: ......I admire you guys who experiment with various loads  :Red tup: .........but for me beyond 110gr ffg a .562 rb and pillow ticking patch.....or 32 gr of IMR 4198 and a 405 gr cast bullet I get all scary :affraid: ................so I cowardly stick with the chicken fried steak I know. :thumbs up:
One of my guns that walked out the door in 1999 was a Farmingdale Shilo in 45/70. Very few black powder rounds were ever fired in it and the smokeless loads leaned toward mid-range. I just have never been a fan of recoil.
I was still pretty green when GRRW was around. Back then my tastes ran more toward Golden Age rifles and all the glitter that went along with them. I wasn't able to see the GRRW guns for what they were. I wish I had. The closest I can come now to owning a classic from that period is my Tingle.

Randy,

I owned many of the Farmington Shilo guns as well as GRRW's, hell they are all pretty pricey now. The neatest caliber in a NY Shilo was 32/40, low recoil and smaller in size than a standard 45/70 rifle, more like the later rough ride model (7/8 scale). That one I should have kept....

Latest posts

Back