Quantcast

Growing Corn at 5,000 ft.

Help Support Frontier Muzzle Loading:

chrisamx

Hello

Ive been trying to grow corn where I live for the last few years without success.  I live at 5,000 ft in the southern most part of central CA.

Conditions are not great here. I have to heavily amend the soil, which is mostly DG.  The temps during the day can reach into the 90's and go as low as 50 at night. The season is short with temps sometimes freezing well into May.  Any advice would be great.

Two of the crops I have some success with are yellow straight neck squash and black beauty zucchini.

Thanks

Buck Conner

Staff member
FML Supporter
You may try planting your garden in a semi-shaded spot giving it a break from the sun. We had to do this at 8,000 feet and it worked. Do like Marty has suggested get hold of California Department of Agriculture.

Freedom

Painted Mountain Corn will grow fine for you. This is a fantastic old corn strain that taste sweet when fresh and will turn into the best ground corn when dry. It is one of the last corns available that Monsanto has not ruined!

It has more protein than deer meat and more nutrients than any other corn. Dave Christensen has spent most of his life perfecting the breed.

Buck Conner

Staff member
FML Supporter
Original Indian Corn will grow about anywhere, the problem is finding it anymore. Sometimes referred to as Flint corn, or Indian corn, those ears with the multicolored kernels, crops up in all sorts of fall decorations. ... A symbol of harvest season, they crop up every fall— those ears of corn with multicolored kernels that adorn doors and grace centerpieces.

Here's one source: Mini Decorative Indian Corn

dried-indian-corn-baby_MED.jpg

Available as a food source or the smaller size for decoration.

chrisamx

Original Indian Corn will grow about anywhere, the problem is finding it anymore. Sometimes referred to as Flint corn, or Indian corn, those ears with the multicolored kernels, crops up in all sorts of fall decorations. ... A symbol of harvest season, they crop up every fall— those ears of corn with multicolored kernels that adorn doors and grace centerpieces.

Here's one source: Mini Decorative Indian Corn

View attachment 139

Available as a food source or the smaller size for decoration.

Ive had some success with Indian Corn in the past, but not every year that I tried to grow it.

chrisamx

Thanks for all the tips. I guess there isnt really any sweet yellow corn for this area.

Buck Conner

Staff member
FML Supporter
Go on the Internet and you'll find several places that sell this corn. Go to Santa Fe NM and about every other store is selling the colored corn and blue corn. When still in business dealing with correct period eatables NM was always a good source for items found throughout history in the southwest. Lots of corn relaxed items.

chrisamx

I'm growing the Painted Mountain Corn, purchased from Territorial Seed...its growing so far. Now I need to figure out a cucumber that will grow here!

chrisamx

I planted the painted mountain corn, but it never fully developed. Was growing nicely, then just quit. I’m posting pics that show the corn next to crook neck squash that grew well. Not sure what went wrong, but I did put a sunscreen up third week of July.

Attachments

Latest posts