Got my 44 carbine and have a few ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Reaction score
Well I found a great deal on a used Marlin 1894 at the gunshow today and snagged it. It is in very nice condition, other then it is a newer model with the cross-bolt safety I love it.
I brought it home and gave it a good talkin too. Seems the prior owner shot about 1 box through her and left her lay alone in the closet. I gave her some TLC and she cleaned right up.
I ordered a scope base for her from Midway USA and right planning on mounting my EO Tech Holosight for this year. Probably will buy a 1.5-6x Elite 4200 by next year though.
But since it was used I did not get a manual. Anybody know how many rounds this old girl will hold?
I have not loaded her up yet, but I do have a good supply of 180 and 240 gr JHP's, surely she will shoot good with one or the other. This rifle has the Marlin Micro-Groove rifleing. I have heard some of the 44 Mag Marlins have Ballard rifleing so it will be interesting to see if she is a shooter or not. I spoke with the " Jackal" today and he has a similar rifle rigged out in Hoosier Sniper Rifle fashion complete with a BDC scope ;D, and says his is shooting just at or under MOA with Winchester USA 240 gr JHP.
I also was looking at several ammo maker websites and interesting enough they do not give velocities out of rifles for the 180 grainers, only the 240's. I suppose maybe the 180's might go to pieces on impact, but until I try it, I will not know.
Anyone ever run any 180's out of a rifle over a chrony? How about shot a deer with one? I have alot of Rem 180 gr JHP's that run 1600 fps out of my 7.5 inch revolvers. But I expect to get close to 1900 from this gun.
Lastly the trigger is a little stiff on this rifle. I suppose the sear engagement can be cleaned up rather easily, and I have done plenty of trigger jobs before but never on a Marlin lever gun. Anybody ever do a trigger job a Marlin? Any tips on the job?
Lastly I could not find a 1 piece STEEL weaver rail on for this rifle, anybody know where I can get one?
Thanks Rifleman

Lastly I could not find a 1 piece STEEL weaver rail on for this rifle, anybody know where I can get one?

No I don't. I just looked at Warne and they don't list one. They list 2-piece steel and one-piece aluminum.

Thanks Chuck, I checked Midway USA and Brownells both and could not find one. I ended up ordering an aluminum 1 piece Warne. If I was going to mount a regular scope, I would have gone with the 2 piece steel, but since I am mounting an EO TECH holosight, I thought the one piece would work better. On the 44 mag, I doubt recoil will be much of an issue, so we will see what happens.

Back