getting knight disc extreme sighted in

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerjackie

Reaction score
I have found some time to get this new dxt sighted in. bore sighted it the other day. i am using loose ff 777, 250 gr 452 xtps and win 209 primers with red plas jackets and black standard sabots from mmp.going to scale out 120 gr to see where it comes to on my brass measure. should i wet/dry patch between shots?any pointers greatly appreciated! thanks. dj i also have fff 777.

Lick one side of the patch then swap the barrel. Flip the patch over and swab with the dry side. Reload, shot, and repeat. I found the convex breech plug to work fine with T7 and the action was much cleaner than with the concave. I have switched over to BH 209 and do not believe at this time I will be switching back to T7.

deerjackie said:
I have found some time to get this new dxt sighted in. bore sighted it the other day. i am using loose ff 777, 250 gr 452 xtps and win 209 primers with red plas jackets and black standard sabots from mmp.going to scale out 120 gr to see where it comes to on my brass measure. should i wet/dry patch between shots?any pointers greatly appreciated! thanks. dj i also have fff 777.

I just want you to be aware, POWDER IS MEASURED OFF A VOLUME MEASURE. Do not weigh 120 grains on your scale and call that a 120 grain load. It is much more then that. Triple Se7en for instance by volume, normally weighs around 77.7 grains when you pour a 100 grain volume of powder. If you were to weigh out 120 grains that would be almost double the safe powder charge you would be putting down that rifle.. I am sure you under stand that. In a volume powder measure, pour out five loads and weigh each load in grains. Take the average of those five charges and that will be what you want to weigh out.

For swabbing, spit works fine but sometimes I get so dry I can not spit. Get a bottle of cheap window cleaner at the Dollar Store. Mist or dampen, NOT SATURATE, your patch. Then work that down the barrel is short lengths at a time until you get to the bottom. Bring that up, turn it over and do the other side the same way. Now run a couple dry patches down the barrel. Do this between each shot. Ever clean a window with Windex and see how fast it starts to dry. Spit does not dry that fast. I make a cleaner out of alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. 50/50 mix. It works real good for swabbing and cleaning the bore.

Get a volume powder measure and put the scale away for now. Set the volume measure at 80 grains for starters when shooting XTP's. Also pick up some 250 grain Shockwaves and try them. They shot well with 100-110 grains BY VOLUME in my Knight Extreme.

Back