Frankenstein rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got to test this project i'm calling Frankenrifle. I had these parts lying around for some time so why not. The barrel is a 50cal CVA Mountain Rifle. I got it on ebay over a decade ago, but it had a pretty deep pitting ring about 10 Inches down from the muzzle so it never shot as well as the original. I cut it at the rust ring and am making pipe hawks out of the scrap piece. The stock is from a 45cal CVA Kentucky Rifle kit that got run over by a truck. After a lot of stock and lock modifying, it finally came together. I was a little concerned about the accuracy I'd be getting out of an 18" 1:60 twist barrel but I was really happy with my three shots with 40 grains goex 2f and a PRB. At 50 yards I was able to hit the target with it. I was going to step up the load when the lock crapped out. I found the problem and fixed it so next time i take it out I'll work up to a hunting load and see how it does on some pigs.
This was also my first time dovetailing and soldering a front sight!

Attachments

• fr1.jpg
    fr1.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 0
  • fr2.jpg
    fr2.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 0
  • fr3.jpg
    fr3.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 0
Finally got to test this project i'm calling Frankenrifle. I had these parts lying around for some time so why not. The barrel is a 50cal CVA Mountain Rifle. I got it on ebay over a decade ago, but it had a pretty deep pitting ring about 10 Inches down from the muzzle so it never shot as well as the original. I cut it at the rust ring and am making pipe hawks out of the scrap piece. The stock is from a 45cal CVA Kentucky Rifle kit that got run over by a truck. After a lot of stock and lock modifying, it finally came together. I was a little concerned about the accuracy I'd be getting out of an 18" 1:60 twist barrel but I was really happy with my three shots with 40 grains goex 2f and a PRB. At 50 yards I was able to hit the target with it. I was going to step up the load when the lock crapped out. I found the problem and fixed it so next time i take it out I'll work up to a hunting load and see how it does on some pigs.
This was also my first time dovetailing and soldering a front sight!
that should be/is one "handy" looking rifle! looks like it's gonna shoot good too!!

Latest posts

Back