Florida Bear Season Closes in 2 Units on 1st Day

Help Support Frontier Muzzle Loading:

patocazador

The Florida bear season was supposed to run as long as 7 days. However, the quotas in 2 of the 4 huntable units were filled by sundown on Saturday and those units were closed. The Central unit had a quota of 100 bears and 99 were reported at check stations by 9:00 PM. The East Panhandle unit had a quota of 40 bears and 81 were checked in by 9:00. Two other units remain open until their quotas are filled or the hunt ends.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-florida-bear-hunt-kill-2015-20151024-story.html

patocazador

My daughter lives in a subdivision in the Panhandle and has bears constantly going through her garbage cans. She puts out the garbage the night before the pickup because they pick it up at 6:45 AM. One bear waits until then and then drags her can to a 30' wide empty lot next door and goes through it at his leisure.
I live in the Central area and the bears haven't reached my place yet (thank God). However, a biologist took a photo of a pair of panthers (cougars) 9 miles from me.

patocazador

No dogs or bait allowed just still/stand hunting.

The other units closed today because the total neared the goal of 320 bears. They still registered a whole bunch of bears early today that were killed yesterday and probably a few more to come in the South and North units. 295 registered so far.

Bear Management Unit Harvest Totals
  • East Panhandle BMU = 112 bears – closed to further hunting
  • Central BMU = 139 bears – closed to further hunting
  • North BMU = 23 bears – closed to further hunting
  • South BMU = 21 bears – closed to further hunting

3000 hunters paid $100 or more dollars each (nonresidents paid $300 each) for a 2-day hunt = a total rip-off in my book.  :x

Latest posts