Will a muzzleloader bloodshot my kill???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browac

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a muzzleloader.. but I'm concerned that the large caliber round will just cause that much more damage to the meat...

I usually use my .308 center-fire.. it does enough damage.. I don't need more.

Is there a round I can use for the muzzleloader that wont damage my whitetail too much...?

Perhaps I should go with a bow????

Blood shot!

Shoot it in the eye! No seriously I don't think you have any more damage w/ the 45 or 50 cal on meat then a 308. If your shooting them in the boiler room very little of the meat should be affected.

browac said:
I'm considering buying a muzzleloader.. but I'm concerned that the large caliber round will just cause that much more damage to the meat...

I usually use my .308 center-fire.. it does enough damage.. I don't need more.

Is there a round I can use for the muzzleloader that wont damage my whitetail too much...?

Perhaps I should go with a bow????

If you use the correct bullet the damage should be much less than with a .308 Winchester. I'd probably use a bullet such as the 260gr Nosler Partition-HG as my first choice. 300gr Hornady .452 XTP as a second choice. Stay away from the 200gr/240gr/250gr XTPs/SSTs if meat damage is your concern.

How much meat damage depends on which projectile you shoot, how hard you push it, what distance are you shooting at, and what your shooting skills are.

If you are a good shot, neck shots can produce very little meat loss. I avoid neck shots most of the time as I like the very high percentage shots, such as behind the shoulder into the heart and lungs. Avoid the major muscle groups and you normally do not waste too much.

Also the type of projectile (as already mentioned) will make a big difference. Roundball shot into deer make a nice clean hole and do not do as much damage as other projectiles. Although I have seen them splatter and really punch a hole too. If it is a hollow point type or the new aero tip, you might be in for more meat damage.

I would not look at it from a position of meat damage. I look at it from a position of clean kills. If it means I throw out a couple more pounds of meat them normal, so be it.

Awesome... informative and encouraging.. now its just a matter of getting a deal on a gun!

Thanks for the help guys.

browac,
Everyone has given you some excellent advice. My suggestion to you is to check the regulations for the state or states you plan to hunt. As an example, my rifle that's legal here in MO, is not allowed in its current state in CO. Each state has its own rules regarding what is legal. Please check those first, then you can begin to look a what will work best for you where you plan to hunt.

Check the classifieds on this forum alot of great deals

TC Triuph - $350
Knight Disc Extreme - $300 or make offer

Super prices and you can trust all of them!

Thanks again... actually I'm in Manitoba Canada.. no sweat with legalities.

For whatever it's worth, my experience has shown me that if I use a heavy for caliber slug, and keep the powder charge as low as reasonable, I can blow one through a deer's vitals with very little meat damage.
In a .50, I use the 385 gr. Hornady Great Plains bullet in front of 80 gr. of Goex 2F. I have no idea of the muzzle velocity, but if I put it in the boiler room, that deer is not going anywhere. Much less meat damage than with any centerfire I have used in the past.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

Tweesdad said:
For whatever it's worth, my experience has shown me that if I use a heavy for caliber slug, and keep the powder charge as low as reasonable, I can blow one through a deer's vitals with very little meat damage.
In a .50, I use the 385 gr. Hornady Great Plains bullet in front of 80 gr. of Goex 2F. I have no idea of the muzzle velocity, but if I put it in the boiler room, that deer is not going anywhere. Much less meat damage than with any centerfire I have used in the past.
Good luck with whatever you choose.

you should not have more meat damage with a center fire than with a ML.. shot placement is the name of the game ..high powered bullet or a slow moving ML bullet through the rib cage will cause no meat lose ..if you shoulder shoot expect a lot of meat loss ..i have shot deer with my .50 cal .ML ...and also with my .300wsm .180 gr. bullet and when hit in the right spot [rib cage] no damage to the meat ... i have said this before the only big game i shoot through the shoulder is a bear to nail him on the spot [too old to run after them in the swamp]

Latest posts

Back