New to me Flintlock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
Spent yeterday afternoon cleaning this new TC that I got on my last trip over to Kennewick. It is an older Kit model that someone really did a good job on. I think the original owner must have had the barrel 'hot' blued because it is a deep dark blue... For the last 10/12 years it has been stored in the back of a closet. Ed said that he did send it into TC several years ago and they put a new lock on it. He also said when it came back he did shoot a couple of pans of powder to make sure it was sparking correctly. That kinda concerned me as i was worried about the condition of the bore - if it had not been cleaned correctly.

The firt oily patch i ran down the bore, all the way to the bottom felt really smooth and I was breathing a little easier, but when it came out it was covered with rust. Broke out the JB's and ran 100 stokes on six different patches - cleaned the barrel till I got clean patches - dropped in the bore light... Beautiful - looks like a mirror in there.

At first I thought it might be a 1/60-6 twist but I am pretty confident that it a 1/48...

Now the next problem! A new learning curve for myself... I really did not have much of an interest in a 'rock sparker' then Chuck went off on the traditional guns, posted a picture of really nice TC flinter - then indicated that they are really fun to shoot. So, if I figure out how to shoot it I will let you know if they are fun - remember I am an 'A' personality - an OLD football/baseball coach with very little paitence. My work might be cut out for me....

TCFlinter.jpg

Lock.jpg

Flinter.jpg

Gotta throw this in also - not ML related...

Monday's hunt... we can not hunt pigs - so this has to work for me

Packing2.jpg

FeatherLayout.jpg

A beautiful looking turkey there.. and a great looking rifle.

Flintlocks are not hard to learn. The worse part for me was knapping a flint. And to this day I am not the best at it. But keep your flint sharp, powder dry and touch hole open and that thing will go off every time.

Beautiful rifle Pete! I really like the dark wood. I don't think you'll have any problems and half the fun is the learning process! You're going to have a great time shooting that T/C!

GREAT job on the turkey! When you said you'd get him, you MEANT it! :D

Latest posts

Back