First tactical rifle....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I've been dodging the tactical rifle scene for years. I've always WANTED one just never quite knew what I'd do with it. Then it came to me....SHOOT IT!

I bought a slightly used excellent condition Remington 700P in .308 Win. Really it's a no nonsense looking rifle. Matte finish with a varmint contour barrel. Stock is really what I consider excellent for a factory job. The stock is really a Kevlar reinforced HS Precision stock with an aluminum bedding block that runs the entire length of the receiver.

I picked out the scope with the help of some of my buds, namely Jimmy, Nug, and JJ! :D I figured a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50 should do the trick so that's what I settled on. I bought bases from Seekins Precison and they look GREAT!

I knew I was getting the rifle for quite a while so I loaded up some rounds even before getting it. I had several suitable powders on hand so I decided to give those a try first. I loaded all the ammo simply to reloading manual OAL.

I got everything all mounted up locktite and everything and headed off to the range.. I bore sighted the old fashioned way and was on paper at 100yds with my first shot. After a few click I was close enough to start shooting some groups.. A word of caution needs to be given here...those of you that have spent BIG BUCKS on a tactical rifle probably don't need to read on. This 700P is so good you are going to be beating your head against the wall!

My best groups were shot with AA4064. What a great powder. It has always proved to be a worldbeater. I admit to being a little worried after not having the prescribed Varget or RL-15 but it was for nothing..

First group..167gr Lapua, WLR primer, slightly prepped Laupa brass, 42gr AA4064, 5-shots 100yds..

100_0328.JPG

0.41 inches!

Next group, same except 168gr Nosler CC

100_0330.JPG

.56 inches!

Next group Western Powders Big Game 47gr, 167gr Lapua, WLR, etc...

100_0329.JPG

.47 inches!

Maybe this rifle doesn't belong in a ghetto after all! :D

It looks like it will shoot well with whatever you feed it. A keeper for sure.

Great job Chuck! Rifle looks awesome with that Nightforce on there. Did you chrono any of your loads?

chuck, why you gotta be posting pictures like that and making me dissatisfied w/ my current already-overly large firearms collection?

Alright!
Great report Chuck! I am really happy to see these results! :mrgreen: I promised you it was a 1/2" gun and you proved that without breaking a sweat! I am really interested in what your future range visits will produce! :lol:

You are also correct about accuracy.. A .25 improvement will cost you big time!

That combo really looks great and that gun really isnt heavy. Certainly no more than a laminated 10ML-II!

VENISONEATR said:
Great job Chuck! Rifle looks awesome with that Nightforce on there. Did you chrono any of your loads?

Yes I did.

42gr AA-2460
168gr Nosler -2658fps
168gr A-Max -2696fps
167gr Lapua -2752fps

42gr AA-4064
168gr Nosler -2598fps
168gr A-Max -2635fps
167gr Laupa -2677fps

47gr Big Game
168gr Nosler -2598fps
168gr A-Max -2609fps
167gr Lapua -2677fps

I'm guessing somewhere around 2650fps is where I was to be with this weight bullet. I'm right there with the 167gr Lapua and easily within reach with the Nosler. Notice how much faster the 167gr Lapua is shooting with the same powder charge vs. the other bullets. Perfect example of how changing components can change velocity/pressure. In fact the AA-2460/Lapua load was getting a tad hot showing some primer flattening. I shot the A-Max loads yesterday and although it still shot very well(especially the AA-4064 load!) I'm probably going to go the Laupa/Nosler route for load development. For sure I'm going to drop AA-2460 from the running as it is a little too fast burning for this application as I thought it would be. AA-4064 is certainly the powder I'm going to use and I may try some more of the Western Powders Big Game. The Big Game had really low shot to shot velocity variation.

chuck, why you gotta be posting pictures like that and making me dissatisfied w/ my current already-overly large firearms collection?

So I'll do the same thing to you that Jimmy, JJ, and Nug did to me! :D

n8dawg6 said:

The nice thing about prefering thumbhole stock rifles is that it immunizes me from wanting rifles without one. :lol:

Looks like the bullets are starting to tumble a bit? Nice groups but ragged holes? Why is that? Or did you not have any backer behind the paper..

About the only good news from Remington, IMO, is that they are building AR-15's now, albeit with crappy 5 rd mags.

This news isn't so good. All these gun company acquisitions ultimately reduce the number of gun manufacturers. IIRC Remington is owned by Cerebrus.

leapfrog said:
Looks like the bullets are starting to tumble a bit? Nice groups but ragged holes? Why is that? Or did you not have any backer behind the paper..

Target wasn't really flat against the backing. Certainly no tumbling....

By the way, Chuck, I meant to say that is one fantastically accurate rifle!! Looks good too.

Back