First one I've EVER seen and its N.I.B?!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
GOT to stop this!
Back in '88(?) I had a Marlin Model 9, camp carbine, in 9mm. Sweet little booger! Quite accurate too. Federal Hydra Shocks gave 2 inch 100 yard groups.
Went back to Cabelas, and I see a camp carbine in the gun room. Probably a 9mm thinks I. But the magazine was skinny and silver, stamped " Marlin Cal. 45 Auto"
DIVINE POOP! A Model 45?! ALWAYS wanted a .45 ACP carbine. Don't exactly know why...
The asking was $899.99. True Gun Values has these selling,, not asking, from $800, in 80% condition. To $1500 for n.i.b.
This one's n.i.b... Not a trace of fouling ANYWHERE and the bluing on wear surfaces is 100%. Not a mark, ding, or defect anywhere. And, the checkered stock is the " DELUXE" model.
I ordered a 21lb recoil spring and new recoil buffers. The original buffer is pristine, but not to be trusted. When they fail, VERY bad things happen...
As the 10/22 is the Ruger .44's little brother, the Model 9/45 is the Model 60's big brother.
DANG did I swan dive into this time?!
BUT! Best to not tempt fate too much...

Attachments

• 20221029_154907.jpg
    20221029_154907.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20221029_154740.jpg
    20221029_154740.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
Those little carbines are cool.
I hunted in Maine one year with a borrowed Ruger 44 mag carbine.
I only shot a coffee can with it but it was very accurate little gun. Easy to tote around in the woods too.

I am fortunate enough to have a Ruger 44 carbine. They are light, quick to point, accurate and kill deer just fine.

For any of you who have one and have cycling problems I talked to a gunsmith out east who is the authority on these guns. He said 99% of the time the problem comes from a dirty trigger group. Remove trigger group, soak in solvents for at least 3 hours. I used a light paint brush to further clean the group. Blow out with compressed air. Spray it with WD40 and use compressed air to blow out excess WD40. Works like a charm.

I am fortunate enough to have a Ruger 44 carbine. They are light, quick to point, accurate and kill deer just fine.

For any of you who have one and have cycling problems I talked to a gunsmith out east who is the authority on these guns. He said 99% of the time the problem comes from a dirty trigger group. Remove trigger group, soak in solvents for at least 3 hours. I used a light paint brush to further clean the group. Blow out with compressed air. Spray it with WD40 and use compressed air to blow out excess WD40. Works like a charm.
always liked them!

This one doesn't violate my " exclusive muzzleloader" status for hunting. A definite plus.
Other than vermin and small game, we can't use semiautomatic rifles for hunting in Pennsylvania.
Pity though. Stuffed with some 230 grain Hornady XTPs, she'd be a nasty little deer rifle out to 75 yards or so...

GOT to stop this!
Back in '88(?) I had a Marlin Model 9, camp carbine, in 9mm. Sweet little booger! Quite accurate too. Federal Hydra Shocks gave 2 inch 100 yard groups.
Went back to Cabelas, and I see a camp carbine in the gun room. Probably a 9mm thinks I. But the magazine was skinny and silver, stamped " Marlin Cal. 45 Auto"
DIVINE POOP! A Model 45?! ALWAYS wanted a .45 ACP carbine. Don't exactly know why...
The asking was $899.99. True Gun Values has these selling,, not asking, from $800, in 80% condition. To $1500 for n.i.b.
This one's n.i.b... Not a trace of fouling ANYWHERE and the bluing on wear surfaces is 100%. Not a mark, ding, or defect anywhere. And, the checkered stock is the " DELUXE" model.
I ordered a 21lb recoil spring and new recoil buffers. The original buffer is pristine, but not to be trusted. When they fail, VERY bad things happen...
As the 10/22 is the Ruger .44's little brother, the Model 9/45 is the Model 60's big brother.
DANG did I swan dive into this time?!
BUT! Best to not tempt fate too much...
Nice find... those PC carbines are neat guns. I've been looking at the "new" ones companies have started making recently but I much prefer the older style ones

Great gun and great find! When I started out in law enforcement back in 1995 that was our patrol rifle for my department. We transitioned to the 870 before eventually switching to the AR. We traded all those Marlins in for the 870's. They were in pretty rough shape so we didn't get much out of them.

I've read of more than a few police departments using the M9/45 carbines.
I'd be curious to know what rank and file thought of them. I can't see functional issues, assuming proper maintenance of course. And buffer/ spring replacement...
Of course the higher powered AR/M4 types are more versatile, but they're also more visually shocking to the more sensitive observers. They also have a far greater danger space/ overpenetration risks.
Of course the M9/45 aren't designed to be service type carbines. But, in a pinch, I suspect they'd do nicely.

The Marlin was much easier to shoot for most officers accurately than an 870 with slugs, however life in a squad car is not easy on a semi auto rifle that's not designed as a combat rifle. Failure to feed issues during yearly qualifications became a huge liability. Not the guns fault but it was a reality that we had to deal with along with the constant maintenance. All of us loved the Marlin .45 Camp Rifle. The 870 was much easier to maintain but not an easy firearm for some people to become proficient with. After the North Hollywood bank robbery in 1997 and a few other incidents, large capacity magazines became the new reality.

Latest posts

Back