First Muzzy Deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshall9779

Reaction score
I made it out Saturday for the last day of the antlerless only muzzy season in MD. My plan was to sit about 30yds down the hill from a powerline clear cut and if I didn't see anything at first light I would ease up and see if anything was in the power cut. I sat up against a rotted stump waiting for light. I had only sat down for a minute when I hear deer coming down the hill from the power cut. They knew something wasn't right and spooked. I had a little one that I could barely see run by me at about 4 yds. A few minutes later I saw the outline of a deer up the hill over about 45 yds. I then waited for enough light for a shot. Not much later I heard another deer coming down the hill and look over and there was a huge spike coming right at me. He stops at about 5 yds, gives me a look over and continues on not spooked at all. I then refocus on the other deer. I now had enough light so I turned and crouched down waiting for a shot. I had to wait a good 10 minutes to get one. She finally turned broadside at about 45 yds. I took aim and took my time and squeezed off a perfect shot, bang flop. 100gr of BH209 and a 200gr Shockwave did the job. Shot was just above the heart taking both lungs. I am impressed with this gun and load. First deer of the year and first muzzy kill. No pics as I forgot my camera.

Congrats marshall! I, too, had my first muzzleloader kill this past week. Was only a yearling, but it was a rush. I am in MD also. Live in Dorchester Co, hunt Dor. and Talbot counties. Where abouts are you? You mentioned "hills" in your post. So you're probably not on the Eastern Shore. :wink:

:D :) :D

CONGRATS are in order :!: :!: :!: You'll enjoy that hunt over and over again :!: :!: :!: 16 more days for me :( :cry: :( :cry:
You'll have good eaten with that doe :!: :!:

marshyhope said:
Congrats marshall! I, too, had my first muzzleloader kill this past week. Was only a yearling, but it was a rush. I am in MD also. Live in Dorchester Co, hunt Dor. and Talbot counties. Where abouts are you? You mentioned "hills" in your post. So you're probably not on the Eastern Shore. :wink:

I live in Gaithersburg, and was hunting the patuxent River State Park.

Congratulations on the deer. You did everything right, and your results prove it. Way to go.

Back