First ML Buck

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redclub

Reaction score
Well I got back from a very good firearm hunt in Northern Wi. and Monday our 10 day ML season opened. Although I live in Waupaca County
which just had 12,200 deer shot the week before (highest in state). I just had to go out. So I took my doe shooting Savage, I shot 2 does last year with it and up here that is a no-no for a new gun. Monday morning I went for a walk and scared up 9 does, Monday evening saw another 10 does while I was on stand. Tues Morning saw another 5 does in the marsh. I thought there are not any nice bucks left here (very heavy hunted) even though I do own 90 acres. Tues evening I was on another stand deeper in the woods Smoking a fine cigar and just enjoying nature when what the hell here comes a buck. I carefully put the cigar down and took the Savage off the hook. The buck stops at 120 yards He sure looks like a shooter I thought. I could see some long tines, With a 1x scope and no bino's its hard to tell. He started to walk away and I thought well doe gun see what you can do. At the shot he flinched and took off he ran right through a frozen small pond and broke threw the ice but managed to get up the other side I didn't see him after that. I picked up my cigar and finished it and went for a look. Tremendous blood trail I found him right along the pond. A real nice 8 pointer. This is my first buck with a ML.
The load was a barnes original 300 grain over 60 grains of vv120 (Thanks Rifleman) Shot was almost perfect right behind the front leg midway up and came out 2nd last rib. What a bullet. Deer went about 75 yards.
So after a successful Elk hunt, nice rifle buck and now a fine ML buck.Its been a very good year sometimes you just get those :D
Redclub

muzzle.jpg

Back