New LR Hunter Won't Fire-Help Me Please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to Gordy the high tolerance for the .50 is .5015, the low tolerance for the .52 is .5020, that's what the man said, and repeated, over 2 days worth of phone conversations.

Maybe somebody has a link to someplace where the knight tolerances are listed? I'm not arguing with you guys, just telling you what I was told, "it's too big, send it back, and we'll send you another one". Even if my numbers are wrong, the one that won't fire still measures bigger than the other two.

howa said:
According to Gordy the high tolerance for the .50 is .5015, the low tolerance for the .52 is .5020, that's what the man said, and repeated, over 2 days worth of phone conversations.

howa,

I don't doubt that Gordy told you that, it's just that I think Gordy had the wrong measurement in his head. I've been there and done that myself. There is no way the low end on the .52 caliber could be .502", it should be .520" +/- 0.001" or so. .502" would be 0.018" below nominal, there is no way you could ever load a .52 caliber sabot or conical in that bore without a big hammer. I have two .50 cal Knights with .502" bores, Gordy definitely made a mistake. He has probably been swamped, and had a number stuck in his head. I may have to call that boy and ask him what he has been drinking for lunch. :wink:

Most of the Knight .50 cals will measure .501" to .502", all 4 of my .50 cals measure in that range. I do think I remember reading that they were trying to keep tighter tolerances on the LRH. Did he say what the limits were on the .50's now? .500" to .5015" maybe?

The majority of our conversations revolved around the magical .5015 number, which he continually referenced as the max size for the .50, he did say they had gone as high as .5020 in the past, but definately anything higher than that was a no go. (I also thought the low end of the .52 was too low, but my concern was more with if I was over the high end of the .50.) I may could change to the MMP short blacks, and get the gun to shoot, but he seemed skeptical of the accuracy I would get if the barrel was truly oversized,and if they're willing to swap the barrels out, then I'd rather go that route, and hopefully keep shooting the same loads, bullets, sabots, in all 3 guns.

I agree with you send it back and give them the chance to make it right. I have returned 2 barrels over the course of the years, and they have done right by me both times.

I got a call from Sam at Knight rifles today, they have me a new barrel on it's way to me, should get it tomorrow. He says "we checked it out, no doubt about it, that barrel was definately over-sized". Mighty good folks at Knight, can't wait to shoot this dude, if I can get it to shoot like my other LRH, I'll be in business. I also called Cabela's and explained that I was out $12, because I shipped my barrel back to Knight. I asked for free shipping on my next Cabelas order, and they thought that was a very reasonable request. So I ordered me some snake boots from the bargain cave and got free shipping.

you did know they have $5.00 shipping at the momnent so they are out $5.00

Howa...I am happy you got it worked out....

Sam is a good guy! Here he is....

sam.jpg

Congrats on the shipping....nice.

sagebrush said:
you did know they have $5.00 shipping at the momnent so they are out $5.00

$5 shipping on a $150 minimum order, I didn't spend $150, but anyway, thought it was great they gave me anything, could have said tuff luck, you should have followed procedure and returned it to us. I was buying the boots anyways, just wanted some free shipping to make me feel better, and it did.

Got my new barrel today, they really swapped it because the serial #'s are different. Note in the box says the old one measured .503" and the new one measures .501. I haven't shot it, but I did put a bullet /sabot combo down the barrel and it's nice and tight (just like I like it). Feels much more like my other 2 Knights.

I ordered a new LRH from cabelas in a 50 cal, so i get the rifle Wednesday look at the box it says 50cal on it. I do not think nothing about. well a Friend ordered one also in 50 cal he received his yesterday except he looks at the barrel and it says 52 cal on it.

I never would have really noticed this if it wasn't for my friend taking the time to look at his. I would have went out and tried to shoot this. taking it for granted I had a 50 cal.

so I go and look at mine to see what is stamped on the barrel sure enough 52 cal break out the calipers and measure the bore .520 sure enough its a 52 cal.

it seems that knight packaged this rifle in the wrong box. of course cabelas was all over the exchange having a replacement on its way.

so this is two different orders from knight that got screwed up.

can someone explain to me how to measure the barrel. I purchased a LRH from cabelas, I can hit a target at 100, 200, and 300 yards however its a bit over here a bit here. 100 YARDS I can't get a tight 3 shot group.

Mine is not as bad as the poster above, however...I have the same issue with the sabots (same as user) being able to almost drop them down the barrel. With little effort of one finger to push them down.

Back