Finished the 1851 Navy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Here she is in all her glory. It is a brass frame .36cal but I used the brass blacks stuff to cover all that shiny ugliness. Now it looks like a worn bluing. No staining on the walnut grips, just 400 grit wet sand, 0000 steel wool and 4 coats of hand rubbed truoil that had been buffed between coats.
IMG_1763_zps646d4977.jpg

Nope, Have to buy the upgraded #11 nipples as the originals are boogered up from dry firing.

Wow, nice work on everything!  I like the aged look and the walnut stock came out super.

Muley said:
I always used #10 caps in mine.
I learned something new again. I didn't even know there were #10 caps. My guess is they are less powerful by design to light off the charge without blowing it half way down the barrel first? Or maybe smaller is due to the size constraints of a revolver cylinder?

No, just the size is different. They have the same power. I always used Tresco nipples, and #10 Remington caps. The combo is a perfect fit. Which is important in a revolver, so the caps don't fall in the action and bind it up.

Back in the 80s it seemed that #11 caps fit most everything. Now # 10s seem to be the best-fitting caps for the current run of nipples. I only have one gun that 11s fit better than 10s. Even the Navy Arms Pietta shotgun uses #10s.

Pato sometimes I think the people that makes the stuff get the dimensions mixed up.

Back