Finally got the dove field planted.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob yes i have good soil here..use to be farm land and i have about 20 inches of rich tar black soil..every thing grows great including weeds..haha...the soil has a bit of clay in it and compacts..so i added 15 yards of composted horse manure in the garden area to loosen it some...the bird food grows like crazy in it...turkeys like it...once garden is done i plant food plot seed for deer winter feed...

Well, sometimes things don't work out all that well and my hopes for the dove shoot may have been dashed.
I had about 35 birds sitting on the fence last Tuesday. I tried to "sweeten the pot" by mowing 5 rows of millet to disperse the seeds and bring more birds in. Two days later there were only 10 doves around but plenty of crows and my resident cranes. Either they spooked off all the doves or a larger field nearby started to attract them. Either way, it's looking bleak for opening day in 2 weeks.
I'll mow the whole thing 5 days before the season and hope that will work but it's just hope at this point.
Bow season starts a week from today so I can deer hunt instead of shoot doves.

Bob,
How do you plan to hunt doves in such a large area? A blind in the center or close to pond? Do they fly in from one or all directions? Pass shooting or flush/jump?

As a kid we had a few places loaded with Turkey Mullein and a pond or water tank nearby. It was a natural flyway and I shot more than I can remember.

If you have Turkey Mullein you will have doves. I doubt it would grow in Florida as it seems to thrive on drier ground.

Here is hoping the doves will be back for the opener, cheers......I will make a trip to the barn and have a shot of........

John

That area isn't that big, probably about an acre or so. There's a pond about 100 yards away. I used to have some dead cherry trees where I could sit and shoot them as they flew in but the trees got blown over in a storm.
I invited a couple of people including a forum member but have to let them make up their minds if they want to drive up here to shoot 10 doves ... I wouldn't. :Questuon:

Back