Fiberglass vs Delrin Ramrods

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m going to be ordering new ramrods for my Renegades. Any negative issues with Fiberglass ramrods? I was thinking of getting them as they are stiffer.

Not really any cons. About the only con is that it is possible for the ram rod to get tiny abrasive particles embedded in it. That might lead to some wear at the muzzle end. But wood, Delron etc all have that same con too. But you would have to do a lot of shooting and cleaning for it to really be a issue.

I think most of the fiberglass rods may still be made using polyester resin if not then the better epoxy resin. The old rods had a tendency to brittlement from flexing the result being very fine pieces of glass cloth piercing the rod’s surface. I would also suspect some stronger solvents with chemicals not seen in the old Hoppe’s days could gradually attack polyester resin. If this happens you’ll find them in the same location where your hand hurts. a paper towel run up and down will confirm. If they start doing this throw it out. I’ve thrown away three in that fifteen years. Poly rods are very whippy or flexible and in my opinion a PITA for hard brushing or tight patches. If the rod say epoxy or one of the thermo set resins I’m sure no problem by way of new and improved. never had a problem with Dewey rods but I think some may have been steel sheathed in glass

Rick

I don't really care for the wiggly rods and don't use them. But I do use fiberglass rods occasionally and find them quite useful. The ones I have are very "bendable" and have a hard, smooth surface. I use a muzzle guard on all my rods regardless of what material they're made from.

Fiberglass rods are abrasive, they are like using sand paper.

I like the shrink tube coating idea.

Heck Ed, just for a ramrod I'd get the delrin. Yeah they have more flex but you're not going to be holding it on the end but only a little above the muzzle to load. You won't notice the bend there. And its also easier to work with to reduce the diameter for ramrod ends.

Latest posts

Back