Federal Premium Trophy BOR Lock Copper

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaybe44

Reaction score
After purchasing a White Model 97 Ultra Mag several years ago, I did some experimenting with different bullets and decided to use heavy conicals - in the 400-460 gr range. The first deer I shot at about 35 yards with a 460 gr bullet in front of 90 gr T7 loose. It was hit in the right front shoulder and the bullet ranged corner-to-corner, exiting the left hip. The exit hole was barely larger than the entrance. The deer ran about 150 yards before dropping. I had a decent, but not great blood trail.
Last week I shot my 2nd deer with this same combination at about 75 yards. It was a very large doe that turned just as I fired. The bullet struck just ahead of the right hip (yes, a paunch hit) and exited just behind the left shoulder. Again, almost no expansion. This deer almost evaded being found because of a very small amount of blood trail and difficult terrain to track her. But I stuck to it and found her lying under a pine tree about 300 yards away.
Big%20Doe.jpg

So I decided that I need to find a load/bullet combination that will give better expansion. I'm sure I could add another 50 gr of powder to my load with no problem to the gun, but I'm also thinking about my shoulder. That would be a pretty hefty punch with a 460 grain bullet - even from this heavy rifle. :shock:
I was looking at the Federal Premium Trophy BOR Lock Copper bullet, but have read several reviews that show a lack of expansion for that as well. Plus, from the sounds of it, it would probably fall right out of my .504 barrel. :nono:
I have a bunch of 300 gr Hornady XTP's and several kinds of sabots. What kind of terminal performance could I expect from these with a 90-100 gr powder charge?
Any other suggestions are also welcome - - I'm sure everyone has their favorite.
Thanks in Advance

use the same bullet in HP and it will do the job.
Use soft lead for bullet

If it was me I would up the powder charge some 100-110 grains and use a 250-300 grain bullet. There are plenty of good bullets, XTP, Barnes, whatever. The 'crush rib' sabot may very well give a great bore fit, try a few types of sabots if necessary.

I realize unplanned events can happen in the deer woods, but shot placement is paramount. Yes, I've gotten off the mark myself. If the deer is somewhat 'upwind' and not alerted, one usually has a few seconds to allocate to good shot placement. If for whatever reason the hit was less than ideal, hopefully a good bullet can tip the scales for recovery.

I don't know the exact bullet you mention, but at the likely speeds I doubt there is any expansion.

In a 504 bore i would try a 458 in a Harvester black crushrib. That combo bumps the usual .503-.504 loaded OD to around .509. There are at least 3 300gr 458 JHPs that should work fine at lower speeds. Remington, Hornady and Sierra. I buy the Sierras. Barnes also makes a 250gr 458 made for 45/70 speeds.

If you want to try .452s, try the Harvester RED crushrib. Those might be tight enough too.

BTW you might also try sending Bullshop an email about a 50cal conical with a HP. I know he makes some in 45cal.

What conical did you use on that doe? Very nice size doe too, way to stick to her trail!! I also use White rifles mainly in .451, but have killed some with my .504's the key, as mentioned, is soft lead..it will expand and your lucky to ever find one after the shot. I also recommend Bullshop. Dan makes one very fine conical that will knock em down usually within sight or less. I have never felt the need to use sabots in my Whites, but that's up to you...

Thanks for the replies, guys.
The bullet I was using (both times) was from Bullshop - the .504 460 grainer. I know he has a great reputation and would not want to harm that in any way. The bullets were very accurate on the range, but for me, they just didn't expand. I'm not sure what the MV would have been with 90 gr, but it was around what several other shooters were using that I had heard from. Perhaps it was a good load for the range but should have been higher for hunting.
I will probably give my XTP's a whirl and see what happens, since I already have the best part of a box of them on hand. I'll bump my load up to 100 gr for hunting, check them out on the range and see what happens when I get another deer in my sights.

That load should have done the deed, don't know why it didn't expand more, did it hit any bone? Bullets do funny things sometimes. I use the same 90gr T72Fg in my S91 .504 and a 488gr Trashcan by Batchief. Bullshop conicals are about as good as you can get unless you make them yourself.

Latest posts

Back