Favorite Shooting Sticks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your favorite shooting sticks for deer hunting. Do you like single, bi-pod, or tri-pod sticks? Anyone ever make their own tri-pod sticks out of a camera tri-pod?

I made my own sets of bi-pod sticks out of some cedar, some nylon parachute cord and a large bolt with a wing nut. I made them to fit me for when I am sitting on the ground, and I have a second set for when sitting on a chair in one of my blinds. If you practice with them, it will shock you how steady they are and how much your accuracy improves over free hand.

I was sitting in a tree stand blind a few years back with a Renegade. I had a small doe come in to a thick area and stand there, and stand there. I put a range finder on her and she would be dead if she had been in the open. Then she stepped to an area where her kill zone was open from the tree on the ground she was behind. That was her wrong move, and although the opening was small, off the blind I knew I could have shot her. If it was not for the fact I was waiting for her boy friend or Daddy to show up she'd of been freezer food.

I now cut a Alder stick for a walking shooting stick. I want to smooth it down and then cut it to length. I have tried shooting off it, but like the bi-pod much better.

I made mine also out of wooden dowels i bought at ace. Thier are so many different ways you can make them i just made mine into sitting or kneeling sticks since i do alot of coyote hunting and im sitting down. They have worked well i have taken a few animals with them.

I made a mine bipod style with 2 oak dowels. I also drilled holes in the bottom, inserted a couple of cut off nails and then sealed the ends of the wood with fiberglass resin. I painted them with brown and green Rustoleum outdoor furniture paint. It has a texture to it and has a splatter paint efffect. Mine are for sitting or kneeling since I too do some coyote hunting.

There used to be instructions for building them at Precision Rifle site. It was a click on along the left side of their screen. I followed their instructions and have to admit... they work real good.

Shooting Sticks

Cayuga,

Went to Precision Rifle site for shooting stick instructions & couldn't find them?
Could you give me more info.?

Thanks,
Mark

I took a 2x4. I decided I wanted four feet for my sitting set of sticks. I then drilled one inch holes every inch and and half through the side of the 2x4. I then ripped it down the center into two even pieces on a table saw. So now I have two identical sticks. I took a bolt, washer and pushed that through the sticks. Then a washer and wing nut on the other side to hold it. At the bottom of the sticks I put a 24 inch piece of nylon cord from leg to leg, so the legs can not spread out. You can move that bolt and wing nut up or down depending on where you sit. If your on a slope you can adjust for that. The I just take my gloves and put them in the crotch of the X and rest the rifle on them. From my tree stands on my seat, I then have them out in front and can shoot very accurate off them most of the time.

stix......

Predator Sniper Styx. Have had 2 sets and they have been great!

Field and Stream last issue had a write up on how to make some out of bamboo. The home made ones tend to have worked the best in the field from my expierence hunting Africa plains multiple years. Dont have to use bamboo...oak works well too and this method is far more economical than buying some from an sports house.

Back