fannypack

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanie

Reaction score
What do you use to carry all your extra powder,bullets and stuff while hunting?Thank you

fannypack would be fine. I use lanes powder tubes to keep my bullets and powder in. Everything just goes into my jacket pocket
mountainrifle100y.jpg

Belt pack

I also use Lane's tube for my powder and bullets, etc. My pack however goes on my belt kinda like a handgun holster.

Nimrodder said:
I carry my speed loaders in a shotshell holder on the buttstock and I wear my capper around my neck.

+1

I carry all my stuff in a three pocket fanny pack from Cabela's. It works great, I have the front pocket for my shooting, the middle for my tools and gear, plus it is a hand warmer. In cold weather with a chemical heat pack in there, it is a life saver.

beanie

I hunted with a small back pack for several years... but this year I did switch over to a fanny pack...

+ I carry the immediate needs in a couple of pockets....

My spare bullets and powder charges are carried in an upper pocket, along with a dogbone type primer carrier. I do carry a fanny pack with knives,lighters, flashlight,vaseline cotton balls and folding saw.

The Fall 2009 elk season in CO was my first experience in hunting with a ML, an Omega .50 cal.

Here's what I am considering for next year.
1. I will continue to use a tube similar to the photos above that contains the powder and bullet.
2. Will likely wear a "speed priming" device around my neck. I got one from Cabelas that I'll test at the range.
3. I need to decide where to place the tubes, i.e. in a jacket pocket or in a fanny pack. Decision will be based on practice at the range and simply the choreography of what technique will get the reloaded rifle into a firing position the quickest.
4. Considerations:
a. If I go with a fanny pack, I will wear it in front like the gent above recommended. One of my hunting partners got a fanny pack at Walmart that has a hard shell and that he wore in front.
b. The benefit of this is that you can rapidly grab the zipper using one hand and pull it to open and reach in and grab the speed tube or whatever you have stored in it. I bought a piece of junk at a surplus store that did not have a rigid shell that required both hands to open, one to hold the flimsy pouch and the other to work the zipper. POINT is that time is critical and all extraneous movements adds time to the process.
b. Practice. I believe 20 to 30 seconds max is a reasonable standard to get a second reload finished. I will practice to that standard and adjust equipment and position worn on body accordingly.

This season I got a shot on a cow elk, knocking it a*@ over teakettle but didn't get a second reload completed in time. Shot was about two inches above the lung area and it escaped to live till next year. Bullet went in one shoulder and out the far side.

My frustration was that I had not sufficiently practiced speed reloading against the clock to the extent that it was honed to a "battle drill" series of steps.

Happy New Year!

Crown Royal

Crown Royal bag, empty of course, except for ML supplies.

I use a 3 day pack...if I just had a little fanny-pack that would be a lot of trips back,and forth where I hunt.

Do you guys use a backpack,and stash it?You just drag your deer to camp?I'm starting to think I'm one of the very few who hikes up,and on a mountain 4-6 miles to hunt. :?

i think a 3 day pack would be a little overkill for 3 speed loaders and some spare primers. 8)

Lol....It has been this last season.I didn't fill my tag. :wink:

back pack

Cell, If i was going in and out that far I would bury my stash in some kind of cannister. Then all I would have ot do is replenish lightly as needed. Here in the east PA/OH it would be very hard (not impossible) to go that far back in w/out a road being near or some kind od access road.

beanie said:
What do you use to carry all your extra powder,bullets and stuff while hunting?Thank you

I put this together for you. I'm a visual person so i figured pictures would help.

When hunting in the field, this is all i carry with me

Inline,
Assy004.jpg

Sidelock,
Assy006.jpg

FG. Is the device in the upper left corner of your inline picture made of metal or plastic? I assume it's for pulling the primer off?
If metal where did you get it?
Thanks.
Bob

its metal and came with my cva accura when i bought it. i think they have them on their website for a few bucks. I havent had to use it but i figure to carry it with me just in case.

:D :) 8)

3 speed loaders, extra primers, tissue for the runny nose, halls cough drops, breakfast bars and water.....All jammed in my jacket pockets :!: :!: In my cargo pants pockets, one has my small 10x50 simmons binnoks and the other has my bushnell range finder. :!: :!: :!:
Seems like allot but really it isn't :!: :!: :!:

Latest posts

Back