Dry Fire

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d500lnn

Reaction score
I have a tc encore that I forgot to put a primer in last year and I dry fired the rifle on a deer. I realized what happened and put a primer in and the rifle would not lock closed. I messed with it for a few minutes and finally it closed and locked. Then the hammer wouldn’t stay back. Again, I messed with it and not sure what made it happen, but it finally locked closed and the hammer stayed back. I managed to get the rifle back out the little hole in the blind and kill the deer.

My question is, is this common if you dry fire and encore ML and/or has this ever happened to anyone else? It has not happened again since.

I have a tc encore that I forgot to put a primer in last year and I dry fired the rifle on a deer. I realized what happened and put a primer in and the rifle would not lock closed. I messed with it for a few minutes and finally it closed and locked. Then the hammer wouldn’t stay back. Again, I messed with it and not sure what made it happen, but it finally locked closed and the hammer stayed back. I managed to get the rifle back out the little hole in the blind and kill the deer.

My question is, is this common if you dry fire and encore ML and/or has this ever happened to anyone else? It has not happened again since.
Let me ask you, have you ever taken the frame apart… It’s been quite a few years since I messed with encores. I’ve done a bunch of triggers on them and if your frame was never apart I’d say there is some garbage in there somewhere.

Let me ask you, have you ever taken the frame apart… It’s been quite a few years since I messed with encores. I’ve done a bunch of triggers on them and if your frame was never apart I’d say there is some garbage in there somewhere.
Mike, I’ve never taken it apart in any way. I’ve shot the rifle probably 20 times. After the incident while deer hunting, it finally stayed engaged and I killed the deer. Hasn’t happened again since and I’ve only shot it 2 times.

What should I look at to see if there may be an issue. I certainly do NOT want this to happen again!

I’d take it apart and clean it with brake or carb cleaner and lightly oil everything with Rem Oil or something that doesn’t gum up when it’s cold. I would guess that there is grease in there that causes problems when it’s cold.

I’d take it apart and clean it with brake or carb cleaner and lightly oil everything with Rem Oil or something that doesn’t gum up when it’s cold. I would guess that there is grease in there that causes problems when it’s cold.
It wasn’t cold though. It was in the 70’s if I remember correctly. It was Georgia ML season. It’s always very warm.

Attachments

• 07B7E8DA-A7B0-4144-902D-0AB06BEE4F78.jpeg
    07B7E8DA-A7B0-4144-902D-0AB06BEE4F78.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I dont know about your Encore, but i have had similar problems with break action MLs, when i put a primer in but it fell out and jammed up inside the action when i tried to close it. A couple times i couldnt see where the primer went and it fell out on its own while i was searching for it. Is it possible that you did actually put the primer in but it fell out as you closed up?

I dont know about your Encore, but i have had similar problems with break action MLs, when i put a primer in but it fell out and jammed up inside the action when i tried to close it. A couple times i couldnt see where the primer went and it fell out on its own while i was searching for it. Is it possible that you did actually put the primer in but it fell out as you closed up?
I've had that happen twice on my Accura, but I had to got on a fishing excursion to get them out.

I'd take it apart just to be sure everything was kopacetic, and there was nothing jammed up inside.
They do need regular maintenence, like any other machine.
There's a couple of youtube vids, I think Mike Bellm has a decent one involving taking it down to parade rest in the process of changing out/upgrading springs to the kits he sells.

I would take the buttstock off and remove the nut and check the hammer spring. When u take that nut off there will be a spring and a t-bar looking pc. Give them a good look at. Clean while it’s apart. Just make sure u engage the t-piece correctly. If you have a bad spring which I doubt let me know and I’ll mail u one.

Back